Chapter 25: lucky day

Start from the beginning

"Of course, I am extremely happy to see you, just surprised that's all," I chuckled, pulling her down to kiss away her pout.

"Well, I actually have a surprise for you..." she smiled mysteriously.

"Another surprise? Did I miss something?" I asked curiously.

There was no way she knew about my birthday; I hadn't told anyone around here.

"No nothing special, today's just your lucky day..." She replied with a wink.

She refused to tell me what the plan was, but she ordered me to go put on something nice. I searched through my closet, but I wasn't satisfied with any of my clothes.
Shuri came to look for me after half an hour, laughing at me standing in the middle of the contents of my closet.

I ended up wearing a long flowery skirt, a white crop top, and my Doc Martens. In case I'd get cold, I wrapped a dark blue sweater around my shoulders before joining Shuri in the living room.

"You look amazing..." Shuri whispered with a fond look on her face.

"Thank you, you do too," I chuckled nervously.

She was wearing a beige blazer over a white shirt and some matching loose suit pants. On her fingers, she was wearing a few silver rings, and a thin necklace was hanging around her neck.

I still had no idea of where we were going, but I was excited when she led me to a car standing outside of the palace.

The driver dropped us off after a ten-minute drive.
When I looked around, I recognized the spot from the evening we watched the sunrise together.
Shuri took my hand and led me to the same bench we sat on back then. She made me cover my eyes, and when I was allowed to look, I felt my heart swell.
On the bench, multiple snacks were waiting for us, and a bottle of champagne was standing next to the food. I turned around to look at her, and she had a wide grin on her face.

"Oh my god Shuri, did you do all this?" I asked in disbelief.

"Nakia helped me a bit, but I made most of it," she replied proudly.

"I love it, this is so sweet... wow," I felt happy tears welling up.

"I know how badly you wanted to leave the house again so I thought I'd surprise you with this," she explained, picking up the champagne bottle and pouring us two glasses.

We sat down and raised our glasses to toast.

The sun was starting to set, painting the sky in a deep orange.
The food she had prepared was delicious, and I couldn't stop complimenting her.

"February is coming closer..." Shuri stated.

"I know, I wanted to talk to you about that," I replied suddenly feeling nervous.

"Your exchange program here is ending..." she said, closely observing my expression.

"Yeah, I knew that I'd have to go back to New York eventually, but didn't think it was so soon," I muttered, without meeting her gaze.

"I mean technically you don't have to go back, it depends on what you want..." She said cautiously.

"Well, I know what I want but I don't know if that's possible,"

"What do you want?" Shuri asked.

"I wanna stay here with you obviously... but I don't know if my school would allow it."
I looked at her and noticed the amused smile on her face.

"I'm sure we can figure something out, they won't say no to the Queen of Wakanda," Shuri said with a mischievous look in her eyes.

"Then it's settled, I'm gonna stay," I stated, biting back an excited grin.

Shuri smiled happily, and her eyes locked on mine. I leaned in slightly, pressing my lips on hers.
She moved her hand to my cheek, keeping the kiss light. I could feel the love in the way her lips softly moved against mine.

She broke the kiss after a few seconds, caressing my cheek with her thumb.

"We need to get back to the palace, I have one last surprise for you..." she whispered with a smug look on her face.

"Another one? Man, this really is my lucky day," I exclaimed.

We packed everything up and waited for the driver to arrive.

"I wanna know what it is," I complained impatiently.

"The whole point of a surprise is that you don't know what it is... You can try whatever you want, I won't tell you," Shuri chuckled.

————————————————————————
Hey guys, I hope you are all doing well. Sadly this story is coming to an end... There will probably be one more chapter and an epilogue coming in the next days. I didn't expect this much interest in this story and I really enjoyed writing it. Thank you all for your support <3

PS: This probably won't be my last story, but I didn't really plan anything yet:)