Chapter 6: pathetic and petty

I woke up the next morning feeling her arms around me. She was still asleep, a peaceful look on her face with her mouth slightly open. She was truly the most beautiful person I had ever seen, I thought to myself. I wanted to keep this sight burned into my brain forever.

At that moment her eyes fluttered open as she stretched her body yawning loudly. She looked up at me with a soft smile.

"Were you watching me sleep?" She chuckled raising her eyebrows.

"No! I woke up a few minutes ago." I exclaimed rolling my eyes at her laugh.

She raised her head pecking me on the lips before sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"I should get to the lab soon," she said glancing at the clock.

"Noo," I groaned not wanting to get up, "Can't you stay in bed with me for a little?"

She smirked getting up to open the blinds the morning sun painting my room in a soft light. "Alright, I'll stay for half an hour, but then I really have to leave." I smiled watching her put on her shirt picking up her hoodie throwing it at me. "Put that on then let's get some coffee," She said making her way to the door as I pulled her hoodie over my head inhaling the smell of her perfume on it.

She ended up staying in bed with me for over an hour brainstorming for ideas for my graduation project.After she had left, I got ready for my first-class anxiety growing in my stomach thinking about having to meet the other students later. I packed my bag throwing in my sketchbook before leaving to get to school.

The classroom was empty when I arrived, so I had free choice of seat. I sat down at a desk in the back of the classroom checking my phone for messages seeing a picture of my little sister proudly holding up a drawing she had made for me. My heart ached at the thought of not seeing her and my dad for so long.

After a while the first students started to arrive happily chatting to each other. It seemed as if I was the only new one which made it harder for me to find friends because everyone already had their group.

A girl dressed in black jeans and a striped jumper, entered the classroom, scanning the students before walking over and sitting down at the desk next to me. She introduced herself as Sarah telling me about how she had arrived the day before from Florida. I felt comforted by the fact that I was after all not the only new student. We were interrupted by the bell signalling the start of the lesson.

The day went by rapidly. It turned out that Sarah and I had almost every class together, so we spent the whole day together getting lunch in the school's cafeteria. I had learned that she was studying art at a university in Florida and was in her last year just like me. Sarah reminded me a little of Ava, she had a very cheerful character and wasn't afraid to give her honest opinion, which made me like her immediately.

Shuri was already home when I got back from school, sitting on the couch in some grey sweatpants and an oversized crew neck.

"Hey, you're back late," She greeted me as I sat down on the opposite side of the couch.

"Yeah, I forgot about the time, I was talking to a girl I met in class," I said wanting to tell her all about my great first day.

"You met a girl in class?" Shuri asked with a sceptical look on her face.

"Yeah, her names Sarah, she's from Florida, and we are the only new students in our classes," I explained. "She studies art just like me and is also in her last year... I was so sure that I had to spend the whole time at school alone, because everyone already has their friend groups, but now I have her," I rambled with excitement about my new friend.