Chapter 3: more important things

I opened my eyes with confusion looking at her. Did I do something wrong? Was she not into it? Millions of questions raced through my head.

"Shit," she repeated, "It's really hard to stop this right now."

"Then why stop?" I asked, not really knowing what she meant.

"As I said before, this is not how I imagined this, I don't want to rush anything," she smiled shyly, "and I wanna be able to actually remember this when I wake up... I'm sorry, I ruined it didn't I?"

"No, not at all, it's totally fine," I chuckled with relief, "You're right, there's no rush. We should try to get some sleep, it's late, and I have class tomorrow," I smiled suddenly feeling very tired.

I could see the relief on Shuri's face as she smiled resting her head on the pillow.

"I should probably go, before I fall asleep here," I remarked yawning and slowly getting up.

"I mean I wouldn't mind if you fell asleep here... you can stay if you want to," Shuri said with a soft smile, "It is still your bed..."

I chuckled, "Alright, I'll stay, but no funny business!"

I turned off the light on my night stand before slipping under the blanket not what to do. Shuri scooted closer watching me with an expectant look.

"Come here" She lifted her arm for me to get closer.

I cuddled up against her resting my head in the crook of her neck feeling her warmth around me.

"Goodnight y/N" she said, and I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Goodnight Shuri" I whispered back closing my eyes.

******

The next morning, I woke up to an empty bed. Her arms around me were gone, and I felt cold without her warmth. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

As I got up to get coffee, I found a note on my kitchen table, "I promise I'll make it up to you. Thank you for letting me stay. xx Shuri"

Nothing else, no phone number, no email address. Nothing. Doubts started rising in my head, but I pushed them aside putting on a pot of coffee.

*****

The next week went by way too fast; I still hadn't heard from Shuri, but I had enough other stuff on my mind to ignore the fact that she disappeared again. We had to start planning our graduation project, but I still had no idea what to do, and we had to start as soon as possible in order to finish it on time.

I had just gotten home from my last class of the week, sorting through my mail when I noticed an important looking envelope in the middle of all the bills.

"Dear y/N,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been offered a place in the outreach program of Wakanda ..."

I couldn't believe my eyes as I continued reading. Shuri had promised to make it up to me, but I certainly wasn't expecting this.

I was invited to one of the best, if not the best academic programs of the world. The offer included a dorm room on the campus, a wide range of classes I could choose from and all the materials I needed. On top of that all the travel costs would be paid for. My mind struggled to process what was happening. I had the chance to visit Wakanda and maybe even spend some time with Shuri. I quickly pushed that thought to the back of my head not wanting to get my hopes up.