Chapter 38

The plane landed and Mariana peeled herself out of her seat. She had slept for a while after Simon had peeled her off his lap and told her to put her seatbelt back on.

She made him feel alive when she did things like that, like getting on her knees in front of him. If he had any decency he wouldn't let her do that, not while he couldn't properly return the favor. He had no decency, but she looked like an angel down there and it replayed in his mind until he nearly had to get up and walk away from her. Months alone in his city with her would be dangerous, more dangerous than letting her distract him in the field or being willing to sacrifice himself in her place. It would be dangerous because the way he felt about her, the way he wanted her threatened his whole persona. It seemed plausibly fleeting while they were on base together but this was extremely real.

And when she said things like I just wanted to taste you, it made him feel like he could lock himself in the bedroom with her for the rest of his life. And that directly contradicted the life he had already chosen for himself. It directly contradicted what he had told her. Price said he could have both, but he wasn't sure he was strong enough.

A few of the others had families, significant others, but most of them were alone except for each other. Except for the open sky and smell of blood. He didn't feel alone anymore, in a way he thought he might grieve for it, like he had lost his only absolute truth.

But she had been alone too, and he knew she was nervous, that she knew less now, about what to expect, than she had before.

She stood and walked out ahead of him, down the narrow steps and onto the tarmac. She always stood tall, shoulders back. Full of grace despite the weight he knew she carried. The poetic thoughts that formed in him when she walked and spoke were new and beautiful. She stopped when they saw the vehicle waiting and looked over her shoulder at him.

"No motorcycle?"

He chuckled. He would give every cent he had to watch that motion replay over and over. "Not today."

A man that MJ didn't know but Simon had spoken with over the phone greeted them. He wore an earpiece like a Bond villain and MJ eyed him warily. She didn't say anything, but Simon watched her. He brushed his hand along her lower back, a secret display of affection, before shaking the man's hand and she relaxed.

"Keys are in it." The man said. "Adler is at the apartment now, and will patrol tonight. We will trade off day by day. You have my number?"

"Yes." Simon said. "Thank you."

He walked to the driver's side and MJ instinctively followed him. He opened the door for her and she climbed in after hesitating long enough to realize the steering wheel was not in front of her. She nearly laughed. Even the simple act of riding in a car felt alien, removed from reality. It didn't help that she was on the wrong side.

He was in his seat in a heartbeat. "Alright?"

"Yes, I'm alright." She said softly, staring ahead at quiet rain that fell as they pulled out onto a lonely street and headed toward town.

They rode in silence, tiredness and apprehension weighing on both of them. They parked in a garage below an unassuming brick building in a well lit, quaint part of town.

She let herself out of the car that time, even though he walked to her side after exiting his.

"What time is it?" She hadn't thought to look at the clock, too distracted by the passing lights.

He checked his watch. "One in the morning here."

She just nodded as he grabbed his things out of the back. She had no luggage. She had nothing.