Chapter 18

He slipped on pants while she sat on the edge of his bed, nervous again. Or...unsteady. She couldn't tell the difference. He seemed to be knocking her around like a heavy wind. A straight-line, heavy wind. He was predictable but where she would land was unknown.

Other people were never necessary to her. She had loved, sure. She had close friends before...

He came and sat next to her, looking at his hands. It was dark but she could feel the heavy weight that bent his shoulders forward. He was no different than the angel of death that had shot her chains from the wall of her prison. He was just stripped of everything he hid behind. She didn't understand what made him want to show her that. What made him want to trust her. Or if he ever would. She probably wouldn't trust herself if she were him.

The thought of being alone in her room was repulsive. She wanted to stay, even if it wasn't going to change anything.

"What is it?" She finally spoke. Her quiet voice filled the whole space.

He glanced at where she sat next to him, comfortable in a space that he had made unwelcoming. He had never been welcoming to anyone, and he had built his entire existence around it. Most of the women he'd been with had been drawn to that very fact. She wasn't one of them.

"I wasn't angry with you. Outside." He had been harsh with her. Rough, even.

"I know." She sounded sure. Her eyes went to his face.

"How could you know?"

"I can imagine your anger looks a little different than that." He could hear a timid smile in her voice.

"Mm. I suppose so." He looked back down.

"Why were you in such a hurry?" She asked.

"I told you. I wanted to see you."

She nodded. She felt that was a lie. "Okay."

"Come on." He grabbed her upper arm again and pulled her into the bed, between him and the wall.

"My hair's wet." She said hurriedly before he could pull her all the way down.

"I don't care." He grumbled, laying down himself.

She slowly lowered herself onto another pillow. She was surrounded by the smell of him, intoxicating. Clean.

She didn't deserve his time. His attention. He was so full of experience. Larger than life. His heart must be the strongest, most forgiving, knowing what he had been through but that he was still willing to give another human the time of day. That he could experience the things he had and still touch her with gentle hands and speak in a quiet tone.

She had the sudden urge to peel herself away, before things got too heavy. She could fuck him, lay next to him, listen to his deep voice, but she wouldn't be responsible for his suffering. He didn't owe her anything. She wasn't his responsibility just because she had been his tripline.

He didn't turn his back to the door. He never did. He just lay next to her without touching her.

"I was worried about you, Mariana." She snapped her eyes to him. His voice sounded different, like he was admitting to some horrible sin. Like he was begging her forgiveness.

She calmed herself. She wasn't too hardened by her own experiences to notice that it was difficult for him to say.

"Why's that?" She asked gently, expecting a non-answer again.

He was quiet for so long that she thought maybe he had fallen asleep. She raised her head to look closer but his eyes were wide open, staring at the ceiling.