OS 2: September 17

Irene has a daughter who's ill. Fighting an illness called Leukemia. Sad to say, day by day her body slowly weakens but her mother's hope never did.

September 16, Irene's birthday. They decided to celebrate it at the hospital due to her daughter's chemotherapy treatment and the fact that she couldn't stay at their home any longer because of her condition.

Waking up early morning, Irene woke up to see her daughter staring at her.

"Baby? Is there something wrong? Does anything hurt?" Irene worriedly said rushing to sit down.

Rylle chuckled, "Calm down, mom. I'm fine. I was just staring at the ethereal face of the birthday girl" She softly said and hugged her mom.

"Happy birthday, mommy ko" She said with her voice still weak. Irene smiles at her daughter's sweet gesture "Thank you, baby ko" She returned the hug and kissed her daughter's forehead.

"What do you want for breakfast hmm?" Irene asked softly caressing her daughter's hair. She looks at her husband who's currently in his deep sleep in the other bed.

The mother and daughter are sharing a bed together whenever they sleep as per Rylle's request which makes Greggy sleep in the extra bed.

"Looks like your father is still in his dreamland" Irene chuckled looking at her husband. Also looks at her father giggling too, "Sarap ng tulog ni Daddy. Mukhang ikaw ata nasa panaginip, Mom" She smirked with her mom turning to her in the process.

"Silly girl, what do you want for breakfast?" Irene asked once again. "Mixed Fruits po" Rylle answered and smiles.

Irene furrowed "Fruits? You don't eat fruits for breakfast, that's new" She said confused. Rylle chuckles, "Because mixed fruits are your favorite breakfast so we're having that for today po"

"Aww baby, it's okay I know you don't eat it for breakfast. What do you really want?" Irene said caressing her daughter's arm.

"Nop, that's final. Mixed fruits na po. I know you want it too, don't deny it" Rylle rolled her eyes convincing her stubborn mother. "Okay okay, you win. So taray naman!" Irene said cupping her daughter's face and kissing the tip of her nose before standing up to prepare breakfast.

Waking up her husband after preparing their breakfast. They all enjoyed even Rylle who barely eats fruits.

They spent Irene's birthday in the hospital with just the three of them together. As per Irene's request since they already had an advanced celebration with the rest of the family.

Movies, books, chikas, sermons, and stories are the highlight of Irene's birthday. They did everything they can think of doing in a hospital room making it fun tho.

As the night arrived, they finished eating a late dinner after a long and fun day.

Irene and Rylle are both in the bathroom with the mother helping her daughter brush her teeth as she couldn't really do it by herself.

Assisting her daughter back to her bed. 11:50 strikes. 10 minutes before Irene's birthday ends. A nurse comes in to get some blood from Rylle as it is a requirement now.

They decided to sleep together tonight, as much as they can. Connected the two beds to make more space for the three of them to fit.

With their dear daughter in the middle of the couple.

"Thank you both for today, my day wouldn't be complete without you both" Irene said gratefully while her daughter is currently snuggling with her.

"Of course, we couldn't let our queen not be happy on her day, right princess?" Greggy said, "Oh most definitely" Rylle weakly agreed.

11:58.

After a few minutes of sweet messages to each other, the family gets ready to sleep.

"Goodnight mom and dad, always remember t-that I-I love you both" Rylle said stuttering a bit which makes Irene and Greggy a bit concerned.

"I'm sleepy na, mommy, daddy" Rylle said weakly and pouts. No one noticed her shortness of breath.

Irene's heart began to pound feeling something wrong. Which something was wrong.

"G-go ahead, rest na po. Tomorrow we still have an exciting day ahead! Mommy and daddy will be here lang po" Irene said quite uneasy.

"Goodnight, princess. Your Mama Imee will be visiting daw tomorrow so get some energy ha?" Greggy said. Both kiss their daughter's forehead.

'I'm sorry, Mama Imee...' She thought.

11:59.

Rylle hugs her mother as tightly as possible as if there was no tomorrow. Greggy hugged her daughter carefully making sure not to hurt her. They were all hugging each other safe in each other's arms.

"Higpit naman ng yakap ng baby ko" Irene chuckled still that feeling bothering her. She looks at her daughter who thought was ok. She really wasn't.

12:00.

As 12:00 hits Irene's day officially ends. Eyelids closing. Slower heartbeats. And all of the sudden...

Machines started alarming, and both the couple immediately rise from laying down to looking at the monitor.

A flat line.

Irene looks at her daughter who looks like she was just sleeping still in shock.

"Anak! Greg call the doctor!" She shouted both standing up with Greggy about to call the doctor when a series of nurses and the doctor enter the room.

Greggy pulls his wife from their daughter who's currently fighting over life and death.

"No... this can't be! Anak ko!" Irene hysterically shouted watching her daughter get serious medical attention.

Greggy tries to stay strong, hugging his wife. Couldn't help but shed a few tears only with the thought and the scene of this misery.

After a while...

The doctor shook his head, a nurse looked at her watch.

"12:16 doc" she whispers.

"Time of death, 12:16, September 17, 2015" The doctor uttered and all bowed their head to give respect.

Irene who is currently in shock, couldn't move for a while.

"No, no, no. My daughter wouldn't leave me no..." She said in denial of the situation. The doctor excuses himself "I'm sorry, my condolences. Excuse me" They all left the room leaving the broken parents with their daughter.

Irene gets all her strength and pushed herself away from Greggy making her way to her daughter's bed.

Softly caressing her hair which she has just done in the morning.

"Anak, wake up na po. Mommy's here na oh" She said weakly, tears falling nonstop.

"Rylle, stop na. Wake up na, don't make mommy w-worried, baby" She said. Still not accepting the happenings.

"I-I said wake up! We have an exciting day pa ahead diba? So come on wake up, anak!" Her voice starts to rise.

Greggy just held Irene's shoulder. "Hon.." He uttered, Irene turned to him with tears in her eyes still falling like a waterfall.

"She isn't gone, right? My baby didn't leave her mommy, no" She said still trying to wake her daughter up.

After a few attempts of no luck. She slowly realizes and lets everything sink in.

The room was filled with pure grief and sadness. Unexpected things happened fastly that they didn't even expect, that's why it is called unexpected. Sobs here, sobs there, grieving parent's tears unending.

Rylle didn't want to leave on her mother's birthday. She tried to hold on for as long as she can. But it's her time. She's tired. Unable to fight anymore, she leaves the world peacefully in her mother's arms.