Part 11

Waking up, I realize the room is silent but a lamp is on. The second thing I realize is how much better I was feeling, it had been three days now since I had initially hit my head earning a concussion. While I still felt the effects from hitting my head, it wasn't as bad. 

Looking over, I find Daryl laying on a cot starring at the ceiling. "You okay?" I ask tiredly. "Gotta be." he mumbles. "They're probably makin breakfast." he grumbles. "Well, you can lay there and whine all day, I'm gonna go get somethin to eat." I sigh.

Climbing off the couch, I realize how much of a poor choice I had made when I instantly become dizzy. "Rowan, even I know you should slow down." Daryl grumbles sitting up. "Whatever." I mumble making my way to the door. 

Silently, the two of us make our way to the cafeteria where we find the rest of the group. "You look a lot better this morning." Lori smiles. "I feel feel a lot better." I smile grateful that someone agrees. "Don't push yourself too hard and you'll be just fine." Jackie smiles while rubbing Glenn's shoulders.

I look over at T who is working on cooking up something. "Powdered eggs, but- I do 'em up good." he smiles as Glenn groans from his hangover. "Protein helps with the hangover." he adds teasing the Korean man. 

Rick looks over at the others holding up something. "Where'd all this come from?" he asks curiously. "Jenner." Lori answers. Rick hands the bottle to his wife. "Could you help me with this?" he asks. "He thought we could use these." Lori smiles. "At least some of us." she chuckles glancing at Glenn who was still a groaning mess.

Patting his back, I take a seat next to him. "Don't ever ever let me drink again." Glenn mutters. Shane enters the room and I look at his neck carefully sensing nobody had noticed the marks. "Feel as bad as I do?" Rick asks with a chuckle. 

Shane turns back to sit at the table with an annoyed look resting on his face. "Worse." Deciding to ignore the cop's injury, I decide to take care of myself and eat the eggs T laid before me. 

Glancing up, I notice Jenner entering the room to grab a cup of coffee. "Doctor, i don't mean to slam you with questions first thing-" Dale states catching my attention. "But you will anyway." the doctor grumbles.

Andrea stares the doctor down for a moment. "We didn't come here for the eggs." she announces. Jenner looks around for a moment before taking a sip of his coffee and leading us to the big room.

Standing off on my own, I watch as he taps a few buttons on a computer before speaking to Vi. "Give me playback of TS-19." Jenner orders loudly. The metal of the room gives off a coolness that is felt deep within my bones as we watch the big screen come to life.

A loading screen is presented. "Playback of TS-19." The screen changes to show a view of the brain. "Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few." Jenner announces as I take a seat at one of the desks. 

The computer loads as the others make themselves comfortable. "Is that a brain?" Carl asks pulling me out of my thoughts. "An extraordinary one." the doctor answers before staring off for a moment. "Not that it matters in the end. Take us in for an E.I.V.." "Enhanced Internal View."

Lights on the screen change as the screen zooms in on the brain, turning it to the side. "What are those lights?" Shane inquires. "A person's life." I answer staring in awe of the image before me. "You were a doctor?" Jenner asks looking over to me carefully. "Paramedic. I was going back to school to become a doctor, second year in med school before all this." I answer.

Jenner nods his head before looking back to the screen. "She's right. A person's life, experiences, memories. It's everything." The blue lights in the brain flicker from one side to another traveling through the brain. "Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you- the thing that makes you unique and human."