Part 6

The ride to Atlanta is silent for the most part until we pull into a train yard. "He'd better be okay. It's my only word on the matter." Daryl says lowly. "I told you the geeks can't get at him. The only thing that's gonna get through that door is us." T-Dog replies.

The squealing of the breaks signals we're stopping before Glenn turns off the engine. "We walk from here." Glenn states looking back at us. Daryl stands grabbing his bow before yanking the hatch open and jumping off the back. 

Daryl watch me carefully until I get out safely. T takes up the rear as we make our way through the fence and into Atlanta. Glenn pushes the fence open allowing Rick through first before Daryl and I and then Glenn and T coming in the rear. "Guns or Merle first?" Rick asks. Merle!" Daryl exclaims.

I watch as the redneck continues moving. "We ain't even having this conversation." Daryl adds. "We are. You know the geography, it's your call." Rick states looking at Glenn as we begin jogging into the city. "Merle's closest. The guns would mean doubling back. Merle first." Glenn answers.

We run a little while longer before entering an old store. Holding my bow ready to shoot, I look around for any walkers. Rick suddenly holds up a hand causing us to halt our movements. He points behind the counter where a walker is moving about.

Daryl quietly moves around front holding his crossbow out and ready. "Damn. You are one ugly skank." he mutters before aiming at the walker's head. A thud sounds throughout the room as it falls to the ground dead.

Pulling the arrow out of the walker's head, Daryl looks over to the rest of us. "Up the stairwell, top floor." Glenn states as we turn to run up the stairs. Rick reaches the top first pulling on the chains. T quickly cuts the bolt and pulls the chain off.

Daryl kicks the door open. "Merle! Merle!" Daryl yells. Following the men, my heart drops at the sight. Merle's hand laying on the roof missing the rest of his body. "No! No!" Daryl cries. My heart breaks at the sight of the man crying regardless of our disdain for one another.

The blood on the hand saw and the cuffs are fresh. The scent of fresh blood filling the air. "Daryl." I state softly stepping away from the gruesome scene. "No! No!" Daryl cries looking at the pale bloodied hand. 

Once he stopped pacing, Daryl quickly lifts his crossbow even with T's head. "Daryl!" I exclaim rushing over and moving T to the side. "Daryl, put it down." I state softly. I hear Rick cock his gun before holding it to Daryl's head. "I won't hesitate. I don't care if every walker in the city hears it." Rick states.

Watching nervously, Daryl tears up again before lowering his weapon. Rick continues to hold the gun there. "Rick." I state lowly. "You got a do-rag or somethin?" Daryl asks looking at T. I watch as T hands the redneck a blue bandana.

Daryl places his crossbow on the ground before approaching the amputated hand. "Rowan, you're gonna get yourself killed doin that." Rick whispers angrily. "Like you said, he won't kill me." I mutter walking towards the redneck.

The redneck huffs looking at the hand before picking it up. "I guess the saw blade was too dull for the handcuffs. Ain't that a bitch?" Daryl states. "It couldn't have been too long ago. This blood isn't dried." I state pointing it out.

Daryl folds it into the bandana before placing it in Glenn's backpack. If it weren't for the circumstances, I would've probably laughed at the look on Glenn's face. "He must've used a tourniquet- maybe his belt." Daryl suggest. "Be much more blood if he didn't." Daryl adds. 

Following the blood trail, we come across a new set of stairs. I let Rick and Daryl move ahead of me as I grab my knife due to the tight quarters. "Merle! You in here?" Daryl yells out as we continue down the stairs.