"Mhm, I guess you're right. My mom yells, only sometimes when I did something really bad." Luz chuckled, pretending to shiver.

Amity smiled. "Your mom's so nice, you're really lucky to have her. I wish my mom knew how to communicate properly, I think that'd fix a lot. I don't even wanna begin to imagine what she'll say when I get home, she probably already knows that I snuck out." She huffed, opening the lobby door and going outside.

"Blame it on me, say that I made you do it. Maybe then you'll get in less trouble." Luz shrugged.

"No! Because then she'll hate you even more and I don't want that because I want you to meet her someday without her trying to bite your head off." Amity looked over at Luz furrowing her eyebrows. "Where exactly are we going?"

Luz hummed, putting her hands into the pocket of her jacket and pulling out money. "Ice cream?"

-

"Thanks for this. You've really helped take my mind off of it." Amity grinned, finishing her ice cream.

Luz raised an eyebrow and smiled, scoffing. "Don't thank me. I'm your friend, helping you like this is the least I can do for you." She kicked her feet at the rocks just at the bench they were sitting on.

Amity sighed. "But I don't think- It's weird. I've never had a friend like this, and I know that sounds.. strange. People I hang out with back at school are just horrible, but my parents are known amongst their parents so they think I should be friends with their daughters." She stood up. "Let's go?"

Luz nodded, standing up and walking alongside Amity. "Just tell them what you want. Tell them you wanna be friends with Luz Noceda instead of those horrible people!" She grinned proudly, pointing at herself.

Amity stifled a chuckle, then burst into laughter.

"Just saying." Luz smiled softly, gently elbowing Amity, who was still giggling.

"I'm kinda scared to go home now, but you've made me feel better. Thanks again, Luz." Amity smiled, looking down at her feet and shoving her hands into her pockets again.

"Anytime."

-

"Text me if something happens, if I don't respond in three minutes run to my room, yeah? Stay safe, Greenie." Luz furrowed her eyebrows, taking her hands off of Amity's shoulders. "I'll walk back down to my floor as quickly as I can so I can respond to your text, if you do."

"Yeah. I'll keep it in mind and I'll let you know. Thank you." Amity smiled nervously and waved, watching Luz jog away.

She took a deep breath in and placed a shaky hand on the doorknob, slowly twisting it and squeezing her eyes shut. She pulled the door open and slowly opened one eye to peel. No one was at the door.

Amity swung the rest of the door open and took her shoes and jacket off and quickly as she could without making much noise. She ran into her room and closed the door, laying down on her bed and taking a book, just incase anyone walked in so it'd look like she'd been in her room since dinner.

Minutes passed, and Alador walks in.

Amity sits up straight, her eyes wide and her heartbeat in her ears. She swallowed and cleared her throat. "Hi, dad."

"Hey, Mittens. Sorry about your mother." He sighed, walking over and sitting at the end of Amity's bed. "You know what she's like, she just wants to protect you. And if you asked me, I'm kinda glad you're opening up and making new friends here. What's her name?"

"Huh?" Amity's eyebrows furrow. "Oh, uhm. Luz, Luz noceda.. she lives on the third floor, but- are you sure you're not mad at me?" She fiddled with the hems on her sleeves.

Alador shook his head, and Amity saw how tired he looked. She felt bad for him, having to put up with Odalia all the time. She was controlling and wanted to be the power of the family, not allowing anyone to make their own choices. "I'm not angry, Mittens. Your mother is quite a bit, maybe just try to give her some time and some space, okay?"

"Okay." She nodded slowly, "uh.. thanks, dad. I appreciate it." Amity offered him a shy smile, and he smiled back.

"Of course, Mittens. I know I'm not the best dad, but I promise you I try, and I always will try my best to become the best and greatest dad you could ever ask for, be patient with me. Yeah?" He ruffled her hair, then stood up and walked to the door, not leaving until Amity said something.

"Yeah."

-

a/n: short chap😭 sorry it's out so late!! it was my birthday and i was too busy to write, i could only finish this up at night</3 finally 14, such a weird number🙁

ily all!!