Chapter 7

Adhi

The stars dusted the dark sky like sequins on a black shawl draped over the tanned bare shoulders of a beauty. The fire crackled and popped. The happy laughter and chatter of the people around him filled the night with animation, but he was in a sickening state of melancholy that made life seem discolored and dull.

He tricked himself into believing he was fine by writing poetry in the dirt with a stick and erasing it with his boot. Not even these beautiful words could pull him from the grasp of depression.

Across the campsite, leaning against a tree trunk, the little Olin who had dampened his mood was sitting quietly with his knees to his chest and in the company of Rin. He seemed more comfortable with anyone who was not royalty or Akai.

Adhi sighed softly so no one could overhear. His heart ached so fiercely that he had lost his appetite. The Olin had broken his spirit and opened his eyes to how the world viewed him. He had no identity of his own. Adhi was simply the son of Emperor Zale. He was supposed to be just like the man who fathered him and not the person he was. No one cared that he had empathy and compassion for others. They did not care that he was kind. They did not wish to know the desires of his heart, and he felt like he would be wasting his time if he tried to show them.

"My lord, I have brought you some tasty grilled meat with a side of your favorite rice. Eat up! See. I have already cut up the meat for you," Kairav said as he sat the bowls on the mat next to the Akai prince.

He tried to act normal but was not sure his face looked right. "I am not a child! You do not have to cut up my food as if I would choke," he said. The lack of life in his voice stunned him.

"My lord, you are in quite a mood tonight," the man said.

The man had known Adhi since he first entered this world and had been close to him since. He knew his nature better than anyone else.

"It is that little Olin?" He paused to struggle to the ground, his rotund belly making the task difficult. Such a show should entertain him, but not even a snicker left his throat. "Should I have him punished, my lord? What did he do?"

"Zyaan has not done anything. That is, he has not done anything wrong."

"Then what is it?"

"Kairav, tell me, is my father truly as cruel as he says he is? Do we treat Olin people that badly?"

"My lord, that should not concern you. You are the crowned prince, not the emperor. When it is your time to rule, then you can change things. Turning against your father is not wise. And just because some insignificant Olin says that the man is cruel. Emperor Zale rules as he sees fit. He has his reasons for the things that he does."

"Like killing people for being unable to pay their taxes? How is that humane? I do not wish to be associated with such cruelty. I want to help the people of Lokya despite whose empire they come from. We are all Lokyans. We all belong here. But the tyranny of my father has tainted the way people view me. They all see me as evil. Do you notice the way they quiver when they see me? They are afraid of me. How can I help people who are afraid of me?" He looked at the man with teary eyes.

"Well, the little Olin is not afraid of you. And why do you think that is?" Adhi waited for the answer. "It is because you are the kindest person alive on this earth. You are lively and warm. Being around you is like sitting in front of this fire. You are comforting and reassuring, generous and sympathetic. No one in this world is like you. Do not ever forget it. You are a gem, more priceless than any other. You are one of a kind. You are so strong and independent. I admire you with all my heart. I have admired you since you were little, and your personality started shining through. You even care for me, and I am just your servant. If that Olin cannot see the light in you, forget him, my lord. He is not worth the effort you put into earning his friendship."