Chapter 28 • Bird hunting •

Start from the beginning

-Very clear I had that a battle would start... But not this fast... I guess that one must always be ready for surprises...

His grin turned into a way more terrifying one, colder, but eager to get entertained by... What?

They were about to discover it...

Everything was silent, apparently nothing to threaten them.
Until constant metal sounds tinkled around them, becoming more and more frequent, more and more strident, closer and closer.

A flock of enormous ravens sourranded them, sounding like broken cogs, mechanical wings shakes, covered in feathers but clearly not bones or skin under them.

As the clockwork birds came closer to the gang, they all immediately covered their heads and at the same time trying to fight those birds.

Not that they let that distract them, Magnus became conscious of the strategy the moment he saw Johnathan leaving through a narrow passage, up circular stairs.

-The big bird is escaping!

Magnus said no more and started to rush, following the gleam coming from the passage, the black and smooth feathers.

-Magnus! -Alec shot an arrow to one of the birds, directly into the head and then, went after Magnus. -Magnus, stop... -He took his arm, forcing the warlock to stop.

-Alec... That gleam... I am sure it is one of the gates... We need to stop that crazy boy. -Magnus' cat eyes focused on Alec, who knew the warlock was right, but still, it was an insane plan. -What other options do we have? Let those chickens distract us?

Their eyes met, ferocious, shiny, hearts racing.
Maybe it was a suicide mission, but they were together. As the leader, Alec trusted his team and would never leave one of the members unprotected, so he finally joined Magnus.
The warlock smiled. "That's my boy", thought, right before going together up the stairs.

-The plan of following him is pretty heroic... But have you thought about the possibility of him killing us?

-Don't you like bird hunting? -Magnus raised his eyebrows, looking back sideways. -I will take it into account for future dates.

And Magnus kept going up, a desperate Alec behind him, bow and arrow in hand, making sure no one, or nothing, was following them.

The enormous silhouette could be seen reflected in the wall. It wasn't a secret that Johnathan was listening to them, but he even seemed pleased by it.

Right before reaching the last step, Magnus reached out his arm to prevent Alec from continuing, who rested his hand on Magnus'shoulder and watched with him the scene.

The big bird, as Magnus called Johnathan, stood right in front of an enormous gate, swirling patterns adorning it, golden and silver light spilling from it and almost blinding the warlock and the Shadowhunter.

-Watching your World... Your giant World... Through this little and insignificant hole... Could never be enough... -He tilted his head, just a bit, as a curious dog would do but of course, without that tenderness. -How is it to feel your skin warm? The soft breeze caressing it and rocking your hair? How is it to see the sun rising and the moon falling?

Wasn't it ironic that Johnathan, King of Eruleum, who literally had a whole World for himself, craved so much for the human world? He was like a bird trapped in an enormous cage, now with a door opened but not having enough courage to set free.

Magnus and Alec looked at each other, needless to say that the majesty was talking to them, not giving himself a heartwarming speech.

-For sure it is better than this dirty lair.