32.''Darkness lets the stars shine bright.''

Începe de la început

"I know," Gabriel said calmly, his hand gripping my shaking hands in silent comfort. "And you're a wolf."

The man stepped closer and took off his hat. He was a clean-cut dirty blond and appeared to be in his mid-thirties. "You've got good senses, you guys rogues?" The man chuckled at Gabriel's intense glare by shifting his focus and then back to Gabriel.

I didn't realise he was a werewolf at first. My nose was not at its best when surrounded by all the bombarding scents in the human world, and it was not like I expected to encounter another werewolf as it was very rare.

"No."

The cop sniffed the breeze that blew our scents in his direction. "I figured, never saw an Alpha rogue before." He smiled pleasantly, he was accustomed to the chaotic scents around us, given that he was able to quickly pick up our status through the scents of our blood. "It still doesn't change the fact you were driving a stolen vehicle." He went back to using his professional, police voice but remained in a slightly submissive stance before Gabriel, an instinct which no wolf can stop.

"A vehicle owned by a wanted drug lord, might I add." He strolled toward us, his expression bemused. He stopped about ten paces away, cocking his head to the side.

"He's dead so he's not wanted anymore." Not a single reaction flickered over Gabriel's face as the cop approached us with a hand to his gun belt. "I'll be nice and won't kill you, and I'll even tell you where I hid the body if you drop us off in New York." Gabriel's lips hitched up slightly in a taunting smirk.

I gave an involuntary gasp at his proposition, staring up at him in shock.

The police officer was stunned but then a mischievous grin rearranged his features, and he stepped forward to shake Gabriel's hand. He quickly dropped his hand when Gabriel just stared down at him in confusion. It wasn't custom to shake the hands of a higher-ranked wolf, or any wolf for that matter. I assumed the officer had lived in the human world for many years.

"Deal." He nodded with a grin. "But whereabouts in New York?"

"New York," Gabriel said blankly.

"Well, I know." A laugh burst out in a snort. "But where exactly?" he said, hesitating on that step towards his police car. I looked up at him with artless confusion.

"Just New York."

The Officer turned to me for help, his eyes wide and pleading.

"The Big Apple," I responded with a smile, knowing my expert knowledge of New York was bound to help.

The Officer sighed shaking his head before muttering 'tourists' and headed towards his cop car.

"Are you ready?" Gabriel asked me softly, his arms unconsciously tightening around my waist.

I nodded against his shoulder, attempting to smile but was unsuccessful, I felt like I was grimacing. I knew this was going to be hard but there was no way we could stop now.