As I stepped into the house, Helen was stood there waiting for me. She was dressed in a a pair of jeans with a purple top. She had long blonde hair with a mix of darker colours at the top of her head. I wouldn't say she was particularly young, maybe around late 50s or early 60s. She had a big grin on her face and gave off the vibe of being a sweet old lady. She didn't seem like someone who liked confrontation but she always saw the best in people.

Dylan on the other hand, looked like he would stick up for you in any situation. His hands were a bit dirty from doing the garden, I could tell because he had some tools on the kitchen side that he hadn't put away. He was also in a pair of jeans but he was wearing a blue flannel shirt instead of a normal top. His hair was quite short and was kind of losing the natural black in it. There were small speckles of grey in his hair as well as his clean shaven beard.

"You must be Cassandra or is it Cassie?" Asked Dylan as he reached his hand out to me.

"Cass or Cassie." I said as I shook his hand.

"Welcome," Said Helen with a big smile. "I hope for the next few weeks that you stay with us, you are comfortable and can feel like this is your home as it is ours."

"Thank you." I said with a big grin.

"If you have left anything behind at Wendy and Steve's, give me a call and I'll drop you there so you can get it. Enjoy Cassie." Smiled the woman before she left.

"Would you like the grand tour of the Soil household?" Asked Dylan.

"Of course." I said with a small laugh. "Wait, your last name is soil, like garden soil?"

"Yeah." Said Helen.

"I like it and I like how you're a gardener. Really lives up to your name."

"Oh yeah. Gotta make people believe that the name fits." He laughed. "You've got a good eye."

"Cheers." I said as I followed him up the stairs and to my room.

My room was pretty plain but I liked it. There was a bedside table with a lamp and some drawers. The colour theme was dark oak and blue with cream walls. I had a desk so I could do my schoolwork as well as my hair.

"I hope the house is up to your standards." Said Dylan as we sat down at the table for dinner.

They had ordered some pizza to welcome me in and had gotten some snacks to watch a movie or for later in the week.

"I don't really mind where I am. I could be on the south side for all I care."

"Ooh, no. You don't want to be on the South Side." Said Helen.

"You've been there?" I asked her.

"I grew up there. My parents weren't the most richest of people so we lived there. Houses were cheap becasue no one wanted to live around gangs and drugs. Our neighbourhood had a lot of children in it but most the children lost their parents at a young age due to drugs so they started to move out. I think I was around sixteen when I was the only child left in the neighbourhood, the rest were either old people or gang members."

"I'm sorry. I didn't realise it was so bad."

"It's fine. Not all of it was bad. On Halloween, the gangs would dress up and do trick or treating. Some gangs were horrible but not in our neighbourhood. Yeah, sometimes there were shootings and murders but other than that. It wasn't bad. Sorry, if I've scared you at all. Maybe that was too much." Said Helen.

"It's fine, honestly. I'm hoping to live with a cop, so I'm not really scared of all that plus I go to a public high school. There are parties and we even have some drug deals on site."

"That's not great. I can ask the school to remove them." Said Dylan.

"Oh no. It's fine. They only talk to the ones that buy from them."

"You sure?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"So a cop? Howcome?" Asked Helen.

"He's been really good to me. He gave me my skateboard back when Steve dumped it. I pushed him away a lot but every time, he cane running back and would refuse to leave until he knew I was safe."

"He sounds lovely." Said Dylan.

"Yeah he is."

"What about you?" I asked towards Dylan.

"My parents were farmers but were quite well off. They owned many companies, a lot of them in Texas. I would always help on the farm but I didn't want to do my whole life. I became a Doctor but retired early due to a hand injury. I loved my job. I was a paediatric Doctor. I wanted to give them a better life and it felt good to see them smile."

"That's sweet." I said as I smiled towards him.

"Gosh, would you look at that time? You should head to bed. We'll clean up."

"Are you sure? I don't mind helping." I said.

"You have school tomorrow." Said Dylan.

"Okay. Night guys."

"Night." They both replied.

I grabbed a shower before bed and quickly fell asleep after I was dressed. I was exhausted but for some reason, I didn't want the night to end. I like who I'm staying with. They are kind and we can actually talk without being interrupted or arguments starting.