2.- Great Mother

5.4k WORDS

Let's begin our journey.

Song(s) for this chapter: 

"Alone" - Burna boy

"Anya Mmiri" - Ckay, PinPantheress

 · · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

When the Great Mother speaks, the land listens. 

The sea sets a calm on its waves, the skies stood still. 

Every living creature felt her and stopped to listen to such ephemeral thoughts.

The heart of the land, the mind of it all. 

Whenever she spoke, everyone listened, for it's uncommon to hear from her, to listen to her breath, or to feel her wishes.

Eywa, the Great Mother.

Limits unknown, the core of the land, the one who sees it all.

The one who knows it all.

 · · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

The first morning after Neteyam's burial was strange. The sea seemed to be quieter, the skies would not bear a chirp of any flying creature. The ilu's would seem toned down, dejected. The sky would become duller.

The hours would pass slower. 

Ao'nung had to rise, despite wishing to stay there a bit longer— to stay with Teya, despite his better judgment. No— he definitely wasn't missing that skxawng.

Except, he was. Deep down he knew there was something— yet he shove those useless thoughts away.

What use was bringing them to the surface when the one who had made such a mess of his mind was no longer here? 

Teya had come into his life only to fuck him up before leaving him. Now Ao'nung's supposed to know what to do with such confusing and useless things?

No. He wasn't about to start dealing with that— and what's up with those dreams plaguing his night? Even though he woke up as if he was a kid having nightmares and Tsi comforted him, once his eyes closed again he couldn't stop remembering him. 

"Wasn't it enough for you to haunt me in thoughts, skxawng!" He snapped to himself making his way to the water for a free dive. He needed to clear his mind, to free his thoughts— to think of anything, really.

Anything but the damned smile of Teya.

"Ao?" A sweet voice said. 

A young and sweet voice he'd gotten used to hearing.

Tuk.

Ao'nung swallowed hard. He wasn't prepared for this.

"Ao..." Tuk insisted, slowly making her way onto the edge where the other stood, ready to jump into the water.