❀𝟷𝟹

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 - 𝙿𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚎𝚌𝚝

Boys drum their sticks against every surface they spot in rhythmic patterns, a golden haze emitting from every hit and tap, swirling like a giant sandstorm through the musical air. Aurora felt different this time when watching them dance, her body was strangely warmer in the humid jungle clearing and her eyes stared through rose gold films as her breath quickened. The boy with his flute watched with delight as his effects started to work on his old friend, picking up the pace with his notes, the girl came to her feet clearly not used to the ecstasy that was Pan's magical influence.

Aurora's hands began clapping to the beat of his song, immersed in Neverlands embrace and feelings as light as air as she became part of the circle. It was intoxicating. Her feet moved in sync with the boys around her, they were magnets attracting and pushing each other like the leaves on the trees around them dancing in the night breezes. Choruses of laughter complemented the flute's piercing melody only heard by the lost, but finding purpose in that song and finding themselves with more than they had before, golden hour had long gone but they still found ways to shine.

Her dress spun and twirled with her bodies sharp movements as Aurora found herself completely engulfed by Neverland and its inhabitants, the concerns she harboured before seemed to melt away into nothing but forgotten memories. Her laughter subsided as the haze thickened, the music ran louder in her ears as she went round and round. Each time her eyes met the pipers, he spoke to her without his words. His mouth would never utter a word but his voice was crystal clear,

Aurora

Every sentence clearer than the last after each beat of their sticks,

You feel my real magic now don't you?

Somehow she knew no one else could hear him but her, and that made her stomach fill with moths.

You can feel the island pulsing under our feet can't you?

His voice snaked it's way through her mind and down her throat, into her chest and slithered down her back. The turning became unbearable.

You dance beautifully Aurora

She couldn't focus on the music anymore, her feet stopped dancing and her body was shuffled into the inner circle towards the fire place, closer to him.

You fit perfectly.

The haze faded with every step he took towards her, even when he stopped playing the pipe it's notes rang through the air. The boy surrounded with unpredictable magic, magic that could have her at her mercy in the snap of his fingers and yet, the lack of fear she had at that moment; scared her. Her rose gold morphed into the orange hue of the fire, it was just Peter, no fog, no haze, just him and those envy green eyes.

"Just perfectly."

Madness, the feelings she hadn't noticed when she first arrived but it was all around her, this island was filled with it; but she had grown to love that feeling in a matter of minutes. Aurora had tasted it, and now she couldn't get enough.

~

In a matter of days Aurora had assimilated into the lost boys routine of life, she had been assigned chores by Peter and went out for training while being an onsite medic if they needed one, she had a first aid tent where her medical supplies were moved to that had two beds, cabinets filled with her supplies and a bench where she could prepare her medicine. Alex and Owen would talk with her everyday about anything and everything they were doing, even a few of the other boys were opening up to the thought of having a girl around which Aurora greatly appreciated the warmer welcome from them.

She had even come aware of a boy who had been put in the cage for a few days for trying to hide from Peter, Aurora was curious to what had happened to cause the boy to disobey him. And when the girl came out of her tent one morning to set up the first aid tent for the day, she saw the boy sitting on one of the logs by himself with a sour expression on his face. Aurora's staring was noticed by an approaching Owen,

"That's Baelfire, he's the kid the boys were talking about a few days ago. Poor guy never really settled in like the rest of us."

Aurora thought about her own experience settling in to the camp and how it was a little rocky, she wondered if it might have been the same for him. "Why so?"

"No one really knows, Pan might though. He doesn't really talk to anyone, none of us want to be roped in to his trouble." Owen crossed his arms in thought, "sometimes if someone you were close to got into trouble, you could be roped in as well if Pan thought you had something to do with it". 

Aurora nodded at his explanation but couldn't help but feel empathy for the boy, he was having troubles fitting in and getting in trouble probably because he was scared.

Without a second thought, Aurora walked across the clearing and over to the log Baelfire was seated on, Owen tried to hold her arm but failed to stop her and eventually gave up. He laughed at his futile attempt.

She stood in front of Baelfire with a warm smile and friendly posture, a little distance away from him incase she wasn't welcomed. "Hello, your Baelfire right?"

He looked up from his feet maintaining his sour expression until he noticed she wasn't a boy and his face smoothed out, his eyebrows less scrunched with annoyance.

"Oh it's you, what do you want?" Aurora noted his reluctance when speaking to her and gathered he probably hadn't seen a girl in awhile, most of the boys were like that around her.

"Just came to introduce myself, I don't believe we've talked before." He flicked his eyes back up and looked at her confused, why would she want to talk to me?

Aurora smiled at his confusion and looked down to the open space beside him, Baelfire followed her eyes and moved his spread legs closer together; she then promptly sat next to him with her hands laced together.

"I figured since I'm the one whose gonna be making sure none of you kill each other, that it would be nice to get to know everyone, including you." Her eyes slimmed as her close lipped smile widened, her leaned over posture adding to her adamant friendly composure. He wondered how such a friendly person ended up  in Neverland, thinking about if she was spelled or not.

"You're too nice, people like you shouldn't be on the island."

"And why's that?"

"Because nice people aren't lost, no one here is happy and the fact your here means that it's only a matter of time before Pan drains the life out of you." Baelfire's face hardened and returned to the sour expression, his jaw locking as he ranted. Aurora listened to his small outburst and gathered he disliked Peter, and noticed the warning in his tone and pondered if he was here against his will. 

"Well, sometimes people aren't that black and white, I'm more of a warm grey I think."

"You don't get it, none of you do."

"I'm all ears." Baelfire glanced at Aurora and unclenched his jaw as if to speak,

"Aurora, one of the boys cut his leg pretty bad." One of the boys from a large group huddling together interrupts the two's conversation, Aurora pursing her lips at the distraction but snaps into medic mode when she remembers that it's her job.

"We'll continue this later okay?" She patted his left shoulder lightly before she turned towards the young boy and told him to bring the injured to her tent, Baelfire watched her back as she left and he crossed his arms over his chest.

From not far away, up in the branches sat a curious Peter Pan twisting his knife between his hands taking in the conversation he just heard.

A/n: so sorry about the random drop off, I'm not dead I promise. Swamped with assignments and school comes first but I'm very slowly starting to write more

If you enjoyed leave a comment and vote, it helps immensely :)