❀𝟹

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄: 𝙾𝚕𝚍 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍

80 years later..

The call of the old hag could be heard behind her, rolling her eyes at the witches pestering.

"AURORA REMEMBER TO GET EXTRA LEMON GRASS THIS TIME!" The door shut right after the witch finished her reminder for the girl, a well deserved sigh escaped her lips. This routine happened every time she exited the cottage; and quite frankly, Aurora had gotten sick of it about 60 years ago. Going out into the forest was the only time she had alone now days, it was her time to relax and actually breath for once.

Aurora clutched the handle of the woven basket holding an ingredient list that needed to be collected, she usually got the entire day to get them which was why it was a blessing when she was allowed to go. Taking a deep breath of the forest air and fixing the hem of her daffodil yellow dress, she was ready to start looking.

Her first stop was relatively close by so she headed north of the cottage, Aurora had been reminded more times than she could count about surrounding territories that would kill her on sight if she stepped even one foot into there land, obviously the hag was exaggerating to try and scare her but Aurora knew the consequences of being caught there.

She took in the dark forest around her, it wasn't like the enchanted forest south of where they were but it still had a certain warmth to it. It was after all the place other than the cottage where she spent most of her time, how could she not grow to like it? Aurora spotted what she needed and headed for the plant, it was beautiful looking flower with medicinal properties and dark red in colour; she had to be careful harvesting it.

Taking out a pair of silver scissors from her satchel and snipping the flower at the bottom of its stem, getting too close to the bud would cause the flower to rapidly wither and lose its strength. Then she pulled out a piece of white cloth and string to cover the flowers pedals to avoid them mixing with any other plants, then fully tying the knot and placing them into the woven basket.

Aurora packed up the other materials back into her bag and took out her compass to head towards the next item.  A gentle breeze flew past her, carrying locks of her hair along with it; the scent of wet moss and the chimes of birds singing filled Aurora with serenity.

Aurora passed tree by tree, bushes full of poisonous berries made to deceive wonders, birds spying on your every move and the bare glow of sunlight peaking through the tops of hollow trees. She could even feel the tingle of magic sweep through the forest floors when she paid enough attention, since living here, she's found a connection to magic.

Only small things, like touching a patch of grass and lifting her hand to see a tiny flower had bloomed; not anything noticeable enough for the hag to sense, just incase she would take it away from her. Aurora had always had a connection to nature but it wasn't always magical based, she just felt close to it; like it was a beating heart she could hear.

Her senses became more sensitive as Aurora focused on her surroundings, the first one she picked up was her hearing. She heard the birds wings flapping, the leaves hitting the ground, distant water running and butterflies landing on tree bark.

Snap!

In the distance, Aurora heard a twig snap; not a big one but just audible enough for her to pick up through her heighten hearing. Aurora turned her head towards the sound and searched the the area it came from with her eyes, nothing was visible.

In her peripheral vision, a shadow flew past between the trees. Aurora whipped her head in its direction, seeing nothing. What ever it was was playing tricks on her, also noticing a shiver up her spine indicating someone was watching her. Deciding that she had had enough, Aurora planted her feet firm and called out into the forest.

"Whoever's out there toying with me, I suggest you come out."

For a moment there was silence, before a chuckle was heard from behind her.

"Haven't seen you in awhile, I though you died."