Six: Of Jealousy And Hatred

Luce Carreno-Howard wasn't exactly friends with Sally Martin, but she didn't hate her.

So, it was very much a surprise to everyone else when the two ran for student council together last year. Sally Martin was to be the optimistic ray of sunshine Class President, while Luce Carreno-Howard took up her role as the pessimistic rain cloud of a Class Vice President. Surprisingly, the two balanced each other out enough for their friendship to flourish.

Things ran smoothly on the student council because it was spear-headed by two very ambitious and realistic individuals. Sally and Luce got things done.

However, they were not friends.

They didn't have sleepovers, talk about guys, or even talk to each other outside of school related topics in the beginning – yet Luce found herself delighted to see Sally Martin walking down the hallway on Monday morning.

Her classmate had definitely grown on her but they were not friends.

The brunette's arm was tightly wound in a sling, but visibly, there was no other harm to her.

Luckily.

Or not so luckily when Luce thought about that fateful evening at the Marina. Luck had played no part in the evening's events as far as she was concerned.

Sally Martin had died.

Plain and simple.  

What was not plain and simple was Luce's involvement. She had risked herself by saving her optimistic counterpart. She had used her powers to bring Sally Martin back from the clutches of death before it could rip the soul from her warm body.

And, why?

Because while Luce may not have considered themselves friends, Sally Martin had managed to worm her way into the girls good graces. She would never wish something unfortunate upon her.

And Faye Chamberlain was certainly a type of misfortune Luce would never wish upon anyone.

So, she rather enjoyed the sight of said girl struggling with her locker that fine school morning.

She had to admit, she may have been way too satisfied with the frustrated look on Faye's face as she wretched her combination lock back-and-forth. The angry brunette was probably hoping it would suddenly trigger her magic if she yanked the lock the right way.

Unfortunately for her, Luce knew her pathetic lack of magic was caused by the group's binding of their circle. It was all laid out in her personal book of shadows.

No more stray wisps of chaotic energy.

No more out of control emotions.

No more individual magic.

And most important of all -- No more Sally Martin's flying off of piers due to unconstrained Fayes.

Yeah, Luce might have been finding the power hungry witch's lack of magic quite entertaining.

Turning to peer down the hall, Luce caught sight of Diana Meade approaching the girl struggling with her locker. She basked in her satisfaction just a little longer before leaving for the next class. 

While she didn't wish for last night's events, at least the recklessness of Faye Chamberlain had been reigned in for the time being.

***

Luce finally found Sally Martin as the school day came to an end. Sally was standing in the crowded hallway outside the principals office watching the janitor tie up the sign for the school dance. It would just not sit straight on its hooks.