Five: With Reckless Abandon

It didn't take long for Luce to jump into action.

"Allison! Call 911!" She hastily called out to the girl on her left.

Luce could feel her body humming with energy -- both good and bad -- as she climbed past the railing and down onto the rocks below. Her boots slipped off the wet rocks a few times before she was finally able to reach her motionless acquaintance.

Her fingers searched for a pulse, but found nothing.

Sally Martin was dead.

And Faye Chamberlain had killed her.

As soon as that realization had settled into her brain, Luce could hear someone shouting from the deck and beginning to climb down the rocks behind her. Principal Chamberlain was slowly trying to climb down over the railing without losing her footing.

Her teenage daughter had just killed another student... and she didn't know.

Luce shifted herself to block the view of Sally. Without properly taking the time to think, she had closed her eyes and roughly pushed her fingers into Sally's chest and forehead.

Dawn Chamberlain was steadily approaching the scene. Her 'professional' shoes were not the ideal footwear for her journey down the jagged shoreline, but they would have to do. She had to make sure the girl was alright. It was her job as principal, and as the mother of the guilty party.

She had witnessed the argument between her daughter and Sally Martin from across the dance floor, and could only hope that the student body president would be able to walk away from this incident.

As she stumbled forward, Dawn spotted a faint red glow emerging from the fallen girl and her vice president, Luce Carreno. It was hard to see around the position Luce had taken above the girl, but Dawn could recognize the magic energy that had filled the air instantly.

Was Luce Carreno doing magic?

...Or was she just going crazy?

Before she could question it further, the glow had disappeared.

But her curiosity hadn't.

With a gasp, Sally Martin's eyes popped back open revealing their green hue shrouded in pain and confusion. Luce carefully helped the girl sit-up and instructed her to take deep breaths as their principal finally arrived at their sides.

Luce couldn't help but fidget as the older woman stooped down to check the fallen girl for visible injuries, but stayed by her friend's side as the paramedics arrived to take her away.

She was stupid to risk being seen using her magic by a Chamberlain, but she wasn't about to lose someone else to the reckless and thoughtless actions of Faye Chamberlain.

But even she was oblivious to the eyes that followed her as she watched the ambulance drive away before turning back to her duties of keeping the festival running.

***

Sally Martin was going to be just fine — at least that's what the email blast Principal Chamberlain had to send out said. There wasn't much she was legally able to get from the paramedics, but according to Sally's mom, her slip and fall onto the treacherous rocks had only caused a minor concussion that she would completely recover from in a few weeks.

She was definitely lucky.

And so was Faye, for she knew nothing of the red that had begun to stain on her hands before Luce's magic had crudely stopped the hemorrhaging fountain at its source.

She had been hiding in the boathouse — the perks of being an employee with the keys — and overheard her magical rivals speaking of the binding ceremony before sneaking off into the night.

If they were going to bind the circle as their ancestors had before them, they were going to understand that the Howard bloodline was not going to be forgotten quietly. 

-------------------------------------

Update: 12/26/22

Please don't mind me. I'm fixing up a few things as I gear up to start updating again. 

I would like to thank everybody that has stayed around. I have finished my first college degree and will have more time on my hands to continue writing projects like this one that still hold a place in my interests. 

------------------------------------------------

10/31/21

I'm so sorry that this is the shortest chapter in history, but I think this is really all that I can manage to fit Luce into E2: Bound. Next up will be Loner, but who is the true loner here? Cuz right now it's looking to be Luce.

- Liz