Chapter 23

The queen and king of the Cedarfall Court sat slumped on twin chairs, eyes red-rimmed and cheeks flushed with sorrow. Their pain rolled off them in waves so intense it nearly had me stumbling back. I was thankful for Erix's presence, and the hand that he had not removed from my back from the moment we entered their presence.

"Orion's body is kept at the capital, ready for the burial ceremony which will be held after a week's rest," Queen Lyra explained, voice horse and quiet. "It would be custom to invite the members of each court, but as it stands a family affair would be preferred. It is what he would have wanted. Orion was never one for a fanfare."

"I am deeply sorry for your loss." I felt the need to say it aloud but regretted it as Queen Lyra winced as though she did not sense the sincerity in my voice.

"It should be criminal for a parent to see the life cycle of their child end so abruptly. I only wish there was a law I could implement to prevent this from happening, but alas, here we are."

I bowed my head as Erix spoke over my heavy thoughts. "We will see that the Hunter is punished for his crimes."

"Settle down," King Thallon added, leaning forward in the chair, his knuckles white as he gripped the armrests. "Lady Kelsey is as much to blame, and it is her head I would prefer to see severed. She was the puppet master, the Hunter merely a boy at the end of her strings."

"My sister will answer for her... involvement when I am certain she was in fact involved. I have not come to a conclusion as of yet."

It was clear that both the queen and king held different views on what had occurred. King Thallon held darker thoughts towards his wife's sister, whereas Queen Lyra was not prepared to solidify her decision.

Lady Kelsey may have aided in her son's death, but she was still family.

"Do you require my assistance with the Hunter's interrogation?" Erix asked.

"You are to shadow Robin until the Passing. Only until he claims his court will you be required to leave him. I trust I do not need to explain why this is necessary?"

My skin itched as they spoke on my behalf as though I was not here. "I saw the power which I am to claim. Forgive me for distrusting in my own ability, but do you know how or what I am to do? I feel as though I am going in blind, and I do not like it."

"I do not particularly like that my son lost his life, yet here I am and there you are." A sudden flare of heat boiled at the air, making me turn my head to the side. There was no visible fire or flame, only the sizzling ripples of air melting from Queen Lyra's skin. "History of the fey is a long, complicated thing, and I can assure you my finest scholars are searching for confirmation as to what is required for you to claim your birthright. We have our suspicions, but I cannot deny it is an uncertain path, one that is not clear. Yet."

"Erix explained as much as he could," I added, trying not to shy away from her controlled flare of anger.

"If I had known he was such a well taught historian then perhaps he would have been in the libraries and you would have another as a shadow." There was a sharpness to King Thallon's comment, as though it meant to sting, but Erix did not flinch, only stared ahead, seemingly unscathed or unbothered.

"He is the only one who is willingly giving me answers," I snapped, unsure why I felt so defensive, but it twisted and coiled within me, ready to strike in protection like a snake made of steel. "Please, feel obliged to share what information you have and perhaps Erix would be able to focus on his task at hand, and not of others."

"Robin," Erix cooed, fingers tensing on my back. "It is fine."

I spared him a glance, but only briefly before focusing my daggered stare back on the grieving queen and king. "I may not know much about the courts and the fey, but I understand that if I am to claim my mother's court then it puts us at equal footing, so I request that you treat me as such."