Chapter 24

Tarron strode beside me, straight back and chin held high. I tried to keep my expression void of emotion, yet I was certain he caught me side-eyeing him as we moved through the manor; it was his widening grin that gave it away.

"I feel it polite to ask how your stay in Aurelia has been. Although I am more than aware of the events that have occurred which seem truly ghastly. And I admit, Lady Kelsey may have the same goal in mind as I, but I would never go so far as to threaten a guest in my home."

His arrogant tone had my hackles rising. "Lady Kelsey has not yet been put to trial."

"You believe she is innocent?"

"Until proven... is that not how the saying goes?"

Tarron clicked his tongue over his perfectly straight teeth. The sound made my skin shiver. "I know little of the humans and their ways, nor do I particularly care to know. But I admit you intrigue me."

"I am not human," I retorted, wishing our destination would hurry up. Queen Lyra had made it clear that Tarron knew the location of Father's dwelling and was well equipped to guide me. It aided in confirming that he was clearly trusted by the queen.

As soon as we had left them, grieving in their thrones, I wished I had listened to Erix. And my mind wondered where he would be. What he would be thinking. Even now I could still feel the lingering taste of his distrust and anger towards Tarron. Compared to Erix and his rather lacklustre ability to talk about himself, I placed my bets that Tarron would be easier to get answers out of. He was clearly the type who enjoyed hearing his own voice.

"Nor are you full-blooded fey. Not an uncommon... occurrence among our kind. But you are not just a mundane fey, you are an Icethorn. And our families have never mingled with the humans enough to create an offspring."

"You speak of me as though I am cattle." Even I winced at the snap of my voice. "Don't. It is not very becoming."

"Becoming." Tarron chuckled as though this was a game. "I suppose it is not. I am simply trying to explain how this works and what makes you such an interest in my eyes. When word reached of you I had to see for myself. I practically waited for the invitation at my borders. Then when I arrived, and found you had gone, I felt some disappointment."

"My apologies," I said coldly.

Tarron slowed his pace as we rounded a corridor, expecting two closed doors before us. Without hesitation he reached for the one on the right, as though he knew these pathways and rooms beyond like the lines on his palm. This was not his court, but he clearly believed it could be. He knew it well enough.

"Take my advice, those of our standing should never apologise."

"So people keep telling me..." I followed him through the door, the smooth ground giving way to a narrow, winding staircase. "I believed you did not want to see me as an equal. Like you said, you and Lady Kelsey have one thing in common. Both of you do not want to see me claim Icethorn as my court. It would ruin your precious plans of domination."

"Domination?" Tarron pondered the word as he climbed the stairs first. The space was so narrow we could not walk side by side, which meant I could allow the torrent of faces to be made behind his back. "I do not see it as such."

"You do not deny it then?"

Tarron trailed his pale fingers along the curved, brick walls, rings glinting in the dull light that seeped through the many, narrow glassless windows. "Robin, I do not want you to claim Icethorn as your court."

His words should have made me feel unsafe, but the worry and nerves did not greet me. If Tarron wanted to harm me, he would have done so. He could turn now, push me down the stairs where I would have little chance to soften the fall. Whatever it was he wanted from me, it was not to see me harm, aided only by the fact that Erix had left me with him, even if he did not want to; that told me enough.