Chapter 13

No one danced all evening. Not that I had been to a ball before, but I was more than confident that dancing was a main factor to one. Perhaps that was not what occurred in balls, I had nothing else to compare it to. I, at least, expected swaying crowds, music and frolicking. Instead it was just a sea of people who spoke to one another, although not entirely focusing on the conversation they shared, not when I passed them anyway.

Althea had not said a word to me about what she saw, and I was thankful. If she questioned what had happened between Erix and I, I feared I would not have been able to provide an answer. Just thinking back to his strong touch and hungry gaze made me uneasy, at least that was what I thought the sensation was; a jolting flip of my stomach and the strange chilling in my chest, two feelings that did well to distract me from the many who bowed heads and smiled as I passed them.

Erix did not return to his station as my shadow, not even when a plainly dressed man called from the podium that overlooked the room and instructed for the evening's events to cease and the council to begin.

I clutched at the half empty glass as the crowd moved like a wave of flesh towards the exit. It was close to impossible not to be pulled along by the movement, but Althea stood beside me with an arm wrapped around my own. Her hold was an anchor, and I was thankful for it, even if her silence, or blatantly ignoring what had happened, made me feel just as awkward as I had when she interrupted us on the balcony.

As the crowd thinned, I noticed others who did not leave. Men and women, young and old, waited back as those around them dispersed, exiting up the grand staircase and leaving the hall.

I focused on them, realising quickly that they all shared the deep tones of red and orange hair. Like Althea they stood with pride, faces sharp with beauty and authority, a littering of statues that had been hidden among the patrons of the ball. I did not remember seeing them before, but one glance told me all I needed to know about who they were.

The Cedarfall Court. Members of Althea's family, and there were many of them. I was left stunned, and embarrassed at the thought that they may have overheard mine and Erix's initial argument, or seen me drunk off fey wine. I swallowed the hard lump of discomfort, forcing my expression to neutral as each and every one of them turned to face me.

Some smiled, others tried to keep their faces empty but they were marred by a slight wince. When the grand doors finally closed after the remaining stragglers were ushered out, the Cedarfall family sprung into action.

"Whilst they prepare the supper, I will introduce you." Althea tightened her grip on my arm as an older woman stepped forward first. She wore her auburn hair in a messy bun atop her head, it reminded me of a nest; it was disappointing not to see birds among it. Lines crowed the sides of her eyes, but that was all that signified that she was far older than Althea. She carried herself with graceful steps, her golden gown trailing behind her like silken water.

"So you are the dear boy who ruined my favourite guest quarters." She smiled, closing her eyes as her face morphed into a dramatic grin.

Althea curtsied quickly, prompting me to bow. "Lady Kelsey, it is my honour to introduce you to Robin Icethorn."

"Stand, my dear," Lady Kelsey said, barely dropping my gaze. She reached a golden painted nail and lifted Althea up by the chin. "You of all people do not need to bow to me."

I felt the need to apologise as the blur of ice and smashed bricks flooded my mind. "About the room, I am really sorry."

She laughed, pressing a jewelled hand to the taut skin of her chest. "I refuse to accept your apology, dear boy. For your little mishap has given me the most perfect stories to brag about during the dullest of events such as the one we have just had to be privy to. Who else can say they hosted the return of the Icethorn Court?"