"We can get you another-"

"And leave a trail of bodies in my wake whenever I grow peckish? I will not live in fear. Not against the Gryvern, nor a plate of fruit or meat."

I was shouting. Not at Erix, but at the situation. Frustration blew through me in gusts of frozen wind. I felt the magic pique its interest within me, waiting, longing for me to let it out.

Erix stood suddenly, making me stumble pathetically over my next words. As he stepped closer I felt the chill of my power retreat as though it feared his presence.

But I did not fear him, far from it.

The phantom brush of his touch raced up my arms, all without him needing to raise a hand. "You are extremely determined. It is hard to believe that you have not always been brought up in a family of authority. Perhaps your power and namesake are not all that was passed down in blood."

I tried to hold his gaze, but gave up. He was beautiful, in ways which should be impossible for a man of his appearance. It was easier to look away to prevent myself losing my train of thought in his never-ending stare. I opted to look at the polished black of his boots as he took yet another step forward.

"You know nothing of me," I said, voice quivering.

"Strange, because I feel as though I am getting a rather good grip on who you are."

"You think I am weak compared to you great, almighty fey." I turned my back on him, facing the dimly lit room instead of feeling small beneath his stare. "I can handle myself, you know. I do not need you to stand guard for me, nor do I need someone eating from my spoon before I do. I was doing rather fine without you."

There was no mistaking the low chuckle that followed. "Is that so?"

"Are you laughing at me!?" I snapped back around to glare at Erix, who did not attempt to hide the smile spreading across his handsome face.

He regarded me, running his forefinger and thumb over his prickly beard as his large hand framed his grin. "I am."

He was testing me; I could sense it. How his face burned with mischief as he spoke, tilting his head to the side like an innocent puppy, whereas the gleam in his eyes was far from innocent.

"Give me your dagger and I will show you." I pointed to the dark, metal hilt that protruded from a sheath at his side. Without looking down, his hand moved over it, resting his fingers tentatively on the handle.

"If you are trying to prove a point, come and get it. Or do you usually ask those you duel for their weapon before starting?"

My gut flipped as my eyes moved from the dagger to his annoying, irritating smile, a smile I wished nothing more than to wipe clean from his face.

I took a step forward, slowly, one foot before the other, as I closed the space between us.

"Did you think I would simply forget to bring up what happened on the balcony?" I asked him, hands steady at my side.

That bastard's smile faltered, flattening into a straight, plump line. "Care to remind me?"

"Do you treat all the helpless boys like that?" There were no more than a few inches between us now. I kept my eyes on his, noticing the slight parting of his mouth as his pink tongue trailed between his teeth. "Or is there something you wish to share with me?"

"Trust me, little bird, you do not want insight into my thoughts at this moment." The intensity in his tone had my readying hand pause.

"What would have transpired if Althea had not interrupted?" I asked softly.