25 | The Welcoming

Start from the beginning

"What about them?"

"They're sniffin' around Louie's again. Tatum's been taking the guys in, and Larry's not stopping it. You want us to do something about that?"

I shut my eyes at that, letting out a frustrated sigh.

The fucking burden- where would it stop. Why was it so damn heavy?

"You can't take them on without me" I shook my head "You're gonna do something stupid and lead them where they want to be. Don't try it"

"But boss- they've taken up space in the bar-"

"I'm calling Larry" I interrupted him "I'll show him a piece of my mind. I don't want those shits around there"

Despite Laura not being there and having her with me (thank god), she would go back at some point.

I didn't need Tatum to get comfortable in there by that time.

"Okay boss" he nodded.

"Jose" I cleared my throat.

"Yes boss?" he questioned.

I stared at the door, as I narrowed my eyes "Why do you think they want entrance to that bar?"

"I don't know- to threaten our spot?" he spoke up.

"We're not a pack of dogs" I spit out "They know something"

"About what? The drugs? Burglaries? Illegal activities? They can't report shit or they'd get in trouble themselves" he explained.

"No you prick" I lifted myself up again "Think about it... maybe they know.. someone"

The pure possibility that they were looking for her, had my heart burn- maybe they'd figured it out. Maybe they knew she was important to me.

Maybe-

Maybe I was paranoid.

"Like who?" he snorted "Do we have any assumptions?"

I looked down, licking my lips "No"

A small silence followed, as I thought about what to say next.

"Don't fight them" I repeated "But look for information, and report it back to me. We need to figure out what the hell they're doing"

"Yes chef. I'll tell the others"

"Good"

With that, I hung up.

I stretched my neck, letting out a heavy breath, as if trying to let the stress seep through me.

One phonecall had me standing there, almost frozen, wondering about the pit I'd fell in, almost accidentally, when I'd accepted.

What was there to do next? Was I taking the right steps? Was it too obvious?

I ran my hand through my hair, figuring it was best to leave before my mind got anymore fucked up.

Except when I opened the door,

.. she was there, in the hallway, staring at me- looking inches smaller without her heels.

I noticed she'd changed to something more comfortable looking, going from that sexy look she had on all day, to one much sweeter.