His eyes fell on mine. For a fraction of a second, I thought I saw fear and guilt in his gaze. Just for a moment. I sighed, aching as I remembered yesterday.

The constant sobbing of Karra, the hurried and chaotic explanations from three people, who each blamed themselves for what took place.

I did not dare to enter the room at that time. But my emotions overwhelmed me and I darted into her chambers. I hoped that this was all but real.

When I saw her bloodless face, I knew. I knew this was the reality, as real as it could ever be. That pain...I never could have explained it.

The child I never got to know and never will.

"To kill the King and his heir was what he wanted, was it not?" I breathed, gripping the goblet tight as ever.

"He does not share all his agendas with me," The former Duke explained. His next words took me off guard. "Is the Queen well?"

"She has not woken up yet,"

There was nothing wrong in discussing issues with a man who would be dead before the sun descended.

"How...How is my son?"

I studied the eagerness on his face and wondered. Was he any different than the previous Duke who was a traitor? If he was, then why was he one in the first place?

"Wilford is all but fine," I told him, shifting in my seat. When he opened his mouth to speak, I cut him off. "How can he be fine when his father had shamed his entire family and Kingdom?"

He averted his gaze, back to the poisoned wine. I fell back silent, trying to navigate through the internal storm in my head.

"Is this what you expect from a King, Lord Esther? The murder of unborn children?" I asked him, not in a kind way.

He flinched as soon as the words fell on his ears. But I wanted to taunt him more. I wanted to let go of my anger toward someone. Someone who deserved to receive it.

"You have a granddaughter, do you not? Do you think he would even hesitate for a moment if the situation put her life at risk?-"

"I do not want to hear it!"

"You have no authority anymore," I reminded him sternly. "Do you know why I am here? Why I gave you that poison?"

He looked at me with doubtful eyes. Until a few days ago, I was as calm as a river. A river is calm if it remains undisturbed. And ever since I heard of what happened to my wife, of what happened to my innocent child, I threatened to flood anyone and anything who stood near the bank.

"If you think Elest Simion would even put a toe into this castle, you are everything but right," I told him, my voice filled with contempt and confidence. "I just want to let you be aware of the fact that he would never reach here to save you from your doom,"

The bulky man looked at me, his eyes glittering. I had no interest in being a calm river anymore. I leaned forward, looking at him with a gaze so intent, that it could cut through stone.

"Do you know why I assured you a painless death?" I asked, in a softer tone. "I could have you tortured in the worse way imaginable. I can have you ravaged by my wolf. So, why did I not proceed with those ideas?"

We stared at each other in strained silence. I knew he was deep in thought about what I asked him. But I went on.

"I do not even carry a sword with me now," I revealed quietly. "Even if you say something impulsively, I have no means to kill you to soothe my anger,"