Chapter 1

"Why are we here? New York city's right there! Nana Georgie too! I haven't been since I was a baby or seen her in person since then! Instead we're in Jersey? In this diner? Honestly, it's too gourmet to be called a diner Mama." Getting an eye roll from my daughter. I don't know why we are here to be honest. Other than one thing. "Your favorite band's performing here. If they were closer to home we would go there. Plus my friend's been waiting years to see you again. He's more like a brother Lin. He calls you niece. He adores the sweet ground you walk on. The first three years of your life, when you were around him at least." I smile knowing he still does. It's been many years since we've been in the same room. She was so little, she doesn't remember him the way he was before. "Thanks mama. I can't believe our tickets. I wish I remembered him. Nana Georgie says he's awesome." My daughter smiles happily. "Of course she does. It's her baby boy. And you're welcome baby girl. It wasn't me though. It was your Uncle." I laugh. Knowing she has no idea. I kept them apart for years. My dear friend. My brother. We've been in touch, but he's so busy. Plus other factors. "Mama, I don't know how he scored Black Pink tickets. They're always sold out. And so close! I can't believe Uncle Jeff got them!" She laughs bouncing in the booth. "It wasn't Uncle Jeff. Even though if he could, he would. Both of them would walk through fire for you. It was the other one. He's beyond excited to see you again." She does know him in a way. Not the way I do, but she's still always adored him. He even made her laugh for the first time. He was so proud. He still rubs my face in it. "I can't wait to meet him! It's been an incredible day already. So cool seeing Rutgers's, when we drove past. Did you know Sebastian Stan went there? He's my second favorite Marvel star mama! I still can't believe you went to the same schools growing up! Were you friends? Of course not! You would've told me. Plus he's a whole three years younger." Giggling her fifteen-year-old girl giggle. "I'm happy you got to see it. I think you told me that before. We may have had classes together in high school. Like you said I'm a whole three years older though. I loved New York when I lived there. I should've showed you more of the city as you got older. I know you would fall in love with it. Maybe for Christmas break we will go. See Nana? How's your milkshake?" I ask. "Oh mama that would be amazing! And you mean my frappe?" She teases. My now New England girl. I wanted to raise her in New York where I grew up, I really did. I felt it better she moved to a small town though where it was safe. Hidden. "Ok, how's your frappe smarty pants?" Drinking my martini anxiously. Trying not to be shaky. Having not seen in him in so long I'm nervous. I've missed him greatly. We moved just as his career started taking off. We still talk every day. She's clueless who the man who adores her truly is. That to him? She's his niece well, until today. His little Printesa. I shake my head to stop the tears of the memories that come along with that nickname. Our lives have changed so very much. Him with his career. Me with my architecture firm.

"Mama why haven't I met him? Why so secretive? My Uncle a secret agent or something?" Lin laughs. I look up sensing some one standing there. There he is. Grinning like a fool. I give him a look. He knows to be quiet. A few people surround him. Quietly he asks them to go away. "No my little love. It's not like he's an actual Avenger." I say loudly. Getting a dirty look from him. Which I instantly want to laugh at. He's insulted. "Oh my god I wish! I know you aren't that cool." Lin snickers. Making him crack up silently up at my insulted face. Instant payback for my dig. "You think I'm not cool enough to have a super hero in my life Lin?" Trying my hardest to keep myself together. Watching my dear friend doing the same. "Ma. You're pretty cool but um no." Rolling her eyes at me for the tenth time today. He steps closer. Waving people off silently still. "Ok. Maybe you're right. What about an antihero though?" Raising an eyebrow sipping my drink. "No offense mama but really? Someone like Bucky would never even know you're alive." Teasing me. I love this. We are more than just a mother and daughter she's my little best friend. I parent when I have to but I always make sure she knows she can be her. That she can tell me anything. I won't judge or get angry. We talk it through. She learns from her mistakes knowing that she's allowed to make them. Everyone does. His eyes light up when he hears her say Bucky. I've told him. From his expression though I think he thinks I was paying him lip service. Something far too many people do with him now. I would hope he would know better with me. I'm his big sister. The one who kept him grounded for all these years. The minute he tries to have an ego? I remind him who he is, where he came from. I nod, signaling it's time. "I don't know doll. Mama's pretty cool. Known her for over three decades. Just saying." He laughs. Lin's face drops, knowing his voice. She stares at me. "What's wrong little love?" Smirking at her. He's standing next to her. It's been forever since I've seen him, other than on a screen. A big one or on my phone. My brother the movie star. "So. Finally get to see you again my niece? I can't believe how big you got. How beautiful you are. I should've known your mama would make the most beautiful young woman ever. You were the prettiest baby I ever saw. Since the moment you were born, cut your cord. I'd know." Looking at her lovingly he strokes her cheek with his thumb. Lin can't talk. "She really is Sebs. Inside and out. A beautiful young lady. Like you always said she would be. Lin, say hi to Uncle Sebs. Don't be rude." Cracking up at the look of shock on her face. "Oh my god! Sebastian Stan called me beautiful." She barely whispers. "See? Told you I was cool." Teasing her. "Ma! Really? Sebastian freaking Stan's my uncle?" Staring straight at me. Not looking at him. She always had a bit of a crush on him. Which amused me. "Sorry baby girl. Uncle Sebs has been busy. So has mama." Smiling at him. "She's a clone of you sis. Your attitude at least." He laughs. Lin has no idea what to do with herself. I stand up. It's been too long since I hugged him. "Sebs." Crying tears of joy. I finally get to hug my little brother again. "Melly." Wrapping his arms around me. "Oh my god." Sighing at the comfort I've missed. "I know sis." Kissing my head. "She going to be ok?" Whisper laughing in my ear. "Give her a few and she will." Laughing back as he sits down. He takes Lin's face in his hands. Studying it. "Jesus Christ Melly." Looking at me. Shaking off what I know he means. "I know Sebs." Smiling sadly as he puts his attention back to her.