Our Everlasting Melody (8)

Start from the beginning

I wished that we could have eaten lunch by ourselves, but we both knew our friends would be suspicious if we did. They already didn't when we were five feet from each other, so there was no way they'd be okay with us being alone.

My stomach dropped when I saw that Mona was already sitting at the table with the rest of our friends. The only ones that weren't there were Christian and Jane, but I assumed that Christian wasn't there because he was practicing for his audition. But Jane, I had no idea.

Blake didn't seem to notice that I no longer wanted to sit at our regular table, so he just plopped down right beside Mona, which ticked me off even more. I knew we couldn't sit next to each other, but he could have at least sat next to Derrick or something.

I placed my lunch on the table as I sat beside Leslie, which was right across the table from both Blake and Mona. I tried my hardest not to stare at them, but it was honestly really difficult.

"Leah, do you know what we should do?" Cassie suddenly asked me, and it caught me off guard because I was too busy staring at Blake and Mona.

"What?" I asked, finally tearing my eyes away from them.

There was a look in Cassie's eye that worried me a little. She only ever had that look when she had an idea, and I usually never liked her ideas. They usually somehow ended up with me dating Sean, but since she was now his girlfriend, I knew it would finally be different.

"We should join the cheerleading squad!" she practically squealed, as if it was the best idea ever.

I just stared at her, at first, because I didn't know if she was joking or not. I really thought that she could have been fooling me then, because a cheerleader was probably the last thing I'd ever want to be. Sean had tried to get my on the squad before, but it hadn't worked because it would have meant I had to spend even more time with him. I didn't know why Cassie wanted us to join now.

"Why?"

"Because we're hot enough to be cheerleaders. Duh."

I didn't have a response to this, and honestly, I didn't think I wanted to.

Cassie scooted forward in her seat, excited about what she was going to tell me. "Just imagine it, Leah!" she continued on now. "If you join the squad with me, you'll get back into your groove for sure! You've been out of it for a while"—she looked at Blake as she said this—"but I'm sure you'll go back to normal once you're around more popular kids!"

That sounded like the worst possible plan she could have ever come up with. The only thing that would make me normal again, if that was even possible, was being able to date Blake out in the open.

Cassie noticed right away that I wanted to say no to her, and she didn't waste a single second. "Just think about! Just think! You'll be wearing short skirts, low-cut tops, and it'll be a form of exercise!"

Blake looked uncomfortable, and I sure hoped that no one else noticed.

"And it'll probably help you get another boyfriend," she finished now, glancing right at Blake as she said this.

Cassie was going to kill me one day. Couldn't she just do things on her own?

I forced myself not to look at Blake, because I didn't want to know what both he and Mona looked like. It would have just been better if I didn't know.

"Hey, sorry I'm late..." a new voice now greeted, thankfully changing the subject. It was Jane, who stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Blake and Mona sitting next to each other. "Oh... That brings back memories."

And cue another stab to my chest...

"Yeah, you guys must have had a lot of fun times together." I forced a smile, even though I felt like wrapping my hands around her neck and just squeeze and squeeze until she turned purple.