Chapter 40: A Zealot Dragon.

Start from the beginning

The door fell with the sound of hundreds of pounds slamming against stone. Once it was clear to move it, I ran inside.

"What the?"

Confusion took hold in my moment of panic upon seeing what was behind that door. What greeted me inside the room behind that door was a large, white semi-sphere with runic symbols orbiting it. Based off context clues, it was a sealing spell of sorts. How it was made, I didn't have a clue. And inside...

Was a black colored dragon.

"[A Death Dragon?]"

My feet stopped in place once I realized what was trapped inside the sealing spell. It was a Death Dragon, a specie of dragons that specialized in the manipulation of darkness attributed mana. Why they were not just simply called Darkness Dragons, I didn't know, but that's not what was important.

This Death Dragon was extremely small. Based off its size, it was only a hatchling that hadn't put any effort into training their body. They were a mere Novice rank that achieved that rank by naturally aging. If they had put any effort into it, they'd be at Adept rank already.

"[Who are you?]" The Death Dragon asked me. They themselves were also surprised to see me. They thought that whoever was coming to save them would also be a dragon, not a human.

"[Before I answer, what is a Death Dragon like yourself doing here?]"

Caught up in my thoughts, I didn't reply to the Dragon's inquiry in the proper manner and instead answered with a question. The Death Dragon didn't seem annoyed by that, though, and answered me happily.

"[My name is Siegfried.]" The Darkness Dragon, Siegfried, said, "[I was... captured. Taken from my parents after they were slaughtered... Then, I was locked up here behind this spell. From what I could tell, it has been about 5 years...]"

With each sentence, memories seemed to flow into Siegfried's mind and he started to cry softly. He went on to talk about how his life was full of happiness before some nasty humans that were extremely powerful came into his family's lair and slaughtered them and his siblings. He was still in his egg at the time, so he couldn't have done anything to fight back. His entire life, all he knew was this room, and this spell.

"[Siegfried,]"

This bastard.

"[So you're a reincarnator?]"

With that accusation, the eyes of Siegfried grew wide in surprise.

"[H-how..?]"

Siegfried was so shocked that he couldn't help but admit to it. How did this person know? What did she know that he didn't?

"[What do you mean, 'How?' It's because your story was full of holes and only had details a reincarnated would be able to put in. Such as, how the hell would a hatchling like you know the concept of time set by humans unless you used to be one?]" 

Though it was practically a natural born gift for a dragon to be able to speak Draconic, there was no way in hell for an unhatched person, unless they were reincarnated like me, to know and understand what happened outside of the egg they were incubating in. Plus, Dragons only officially named their children their True Names once they were born, not while they were still in an egg. He must have given himself that name.

I inspected the mysterious spell surrounding Siegfried. "[The only reason you're still alive right now is because of that spell, right?]"

Death Dragons were the most hated organism in the world, though it was mainly through superstition. They, without question, were always a kill on sight target. No one would ever think about keeping one alive unless they were batshit insane.