As if he's telepathic, a text pops up on top of my screen

Darelle: I'm back in town. Meet later?

Keilee: Sure, I'll let you know when I get back from work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've barely relaxed when my doorbell decides to make itself heard. "Come in." I shout from the couch.

The door clicks open and Darelle walks in dressed in a black button down and black jeans. One thing about him, is he's gonna dress like the utopian model he is. Top that with the freshly shaved jaw and the protruding biceps.

Clearly he was among the first people to be created. Back when God still had the drive and ambition. Some of us were saved for last, not because God wanted to perfect us but because he knew we'd make do with any body he threw our way. I mean why else do we all have different body types and faces?

He also smells like a fresh garden full of flowers. Do you see the pattern?

"Hey." He greets, making himself comfortable on the couch. Did his voice get a little rougher? Or maybe it's the butterflies in my stomach. When Hailee Steinfield sang, Don't need no butterflies when you give me the whole damn zoo, I thought it was just another one of those lyrics until now. In fact, throw in a national park while you're at it.

I realize I've not spoken when he nudges my arm. "Right." I shake away the inappropriate thoughts. "How've you been? How was the show?" I ask conversationally.

Darelle just looks at me with no intent of replying until eventually he breaks into a coy smile. "Let's be real, do you really care?"

Well he got me there. "On the first part, yes. The second not so much."

"In that case, yes to the first part." I want so bad to ask him about the article but from his small voice, I don't think he's happier about it than I am.

After a stretched silence, I decide to break us out of our misery. "I'm just gonna go get the phone." I don't notice our proximity until I'm about to stand up but realize he's sitting on my dress. The sensible thing is for him to stand up right? Instead we end up in a frenzy of hands each trying to pull the dress away.

For a second, I let my hand linger on his a beat too long. And fuck is he muscular and huge. No pun intended of course. I need to get laid.

After that buzzkill of a moment, I rush upstairs before I do something stupid like actually falling into his arms. When I walk back into the sitting room, I hand him the phone to put in his password. Of course I could've easily hacked into it but it wasn't in my place.

"I'm assuming Roach didn't just hand this to you." It's more of a question than a statement.

I plop right next to him. "Do you have an hour?"

He playfully checks his watch. "I'll do you one better. I have all the time in the world."

"Well then be prepared to hear the best heist of your life. La casa de papel has nothing on it." I begin my narration; one I didn't realize was long till now.

Though Darelle is attentive, he never speaks. Not once. Not even to throw in quizzes. It's when I'm done that I realize why.

His lips are pressed into a thin line, his face strained. "You did what?!" His voice rises a pitch higher. "What were you thinking?" His exasperation is clear in the way he drags his hand over his face.

"I for one thought you'd be ecstatic."

"I would've been if that whole ordeal didn't threaten your lives. Did you stop and think of the repercussions if Roach caught you or Seaman should have woken up at the wrong time?" Although evidently frustrated, his tone holds a hint of worry. Does he really care?