Vol. 2 Chapter 17: Imperium's Darkness

Mercenary guild

As I pushed open the large, imposing door of the mercenary guild, I was immediately struck by the energy of the place. The room was alive with bustling activity, and people of all kinds were moving around, some in a hurry, some at a leisurely pace.

The first thing that caught my attention was the variety of people inside. There were tall humans in armor, stout dwarves with bushy beards, lithe elves with bows slung over their shoulders, and many other races besides, which not gonna lie, is very unlikely mix inside the imperium filled with bunch of racist and human supremacists groups. They all wore different clothes and gear, some clean and polished, others dirty and worn from battle.

The noise level was high, with people chattering left and right. Some were laughing and joking, while others spoke in hushed tones about dangerous missions or secret contracts. The air was thick with the smell of sweat, leather, and metal.

As I made my way further inside, I could see that there were actually different sections of the guild, each with its own purpose — I originally limited on going in and out to reception and request board, nothing more, nothing less. So it's kind of refreshing sight. Some were practicing their combat skills in the small training area, while others were poring over maps and contracts in the request board area. I could see people huddled around tables in the mess hall, eating and drinking together.

"It's good to see you again, Luka," I said, smiling at the crossdressing girl who worked as a staff member in the mercenary guild. Despite being androgynous, now come to think of it, Luka had a pure feminine aura that made her charming and easy to talk to. I never really noticed it until now due to her masculine way of dressing.

Luka returned my smile with one of her own, her bright blue eyes sparkling with amusement. "It hasn't been that long, Liam," she replied, using my first name as we were only acquaintances and not particularly close.

I chuckled. "Yeah, I guess it's only been a few months. But a lot has happened since then." I gestured to myself, indicating my engagement to Sistiene, a princess from the autonomous region of Roseblade, one of the semi-independent Grand Duchy of Union.

I continued, recalling a recent incident. Her father almost stabbed me with a sword, screaming 'You bastard! Kanami said our daughter won't marry until the age of 18!' It seems that he used the common sense of Earth on this matter, where 18 is the age is the certificate you're an adult, while here, people are considered adults and allowed to marry at the age of 15. However, Sistiene is still only 14, so I won't lay my hands on her, obviously.

Luka raised an eyebrow, her lips curving into a mischievous grin. "Oh really? Congratulations, my lord," she teased, using the title I had inherited as Sistiene's fiancé.

I shook my head, feeling slightly embarrassed. "Please, Luka. It's really weird to be called 'Lord' by an acquaintance. I prefer just my usual name."

Luka laughed, her musical voice ringing out in the busy guild. "As you wish, but saying only 'Liam' during my work would go against regulations. So, what brings you back to the guild today, Sir Liam?"

I approached Luka with a small piece of paper in my hand. "Here," I said, handing it to her. She furrowed her eyebrows in response, looking a bit serious as she read it. "Can I request it, right?" I asked, unsure if the guild or Luka herself would even accept my request to participate in a certain auction.