chapter 7

"I think Blue got lost," pouted Rouge as she layed on the couch upside down.

I gave her an odd look from the kitchen. "It's been five minutes..."

"Has it?" her head perked up, then dropped it groaning. "Back home, he'd of already been back. I've forgotten how slow Earth can be..."

"Clearly," grumbled Shadow from his corner near the floor-to-ceiling windows.

I closed the dishwasher and turned it on. "You guys been here before?" I couldn't believe i was actually indulging in their whole aliens-from-another-world story.

Cream dried her hands on a cloth. She had insisted on helping clean up, which i greatly appreciated. "Yeah!" she smiled. "But this is the first time we've been like this."

I eyed her questioningly. "So... you've been here before as your normal bunny and bat selves?"

Rouge sat up straight and turned around to face us, her arms hanging over the back of the couch. "That's right, dear."

"How long ago was that?"

Rouge hummed. "It's hard to say... i dont think time moves the same here as it does for us back home. I'd probably say it's been ten years for us. What year is it right now?"

"2023."

"It's been about twenty years here then," cream said thoughtfully. "I wonder how Chris is doing..." she sighed, a sad smile on her lips.

From his corner, shadow scoffed. "Forget about that stupid kid, im sure he's fine." Rouge threw a glare at shadow but he ignored her and went back to staring out the window.

"That is a good question though, cream sweetie," rouge smiled, laying her head on her arms. "He'd be well into his thirties about now. Catching up to shadow in his old man age." she laughed

"Don't you dare bring that shit up," shadow growled.

I examined him, though it was hard to really get a good look at him from so far away and in such dim lighting. But i could and have seen he was young, definitely not older than thirty, surely. He was markedly handsome, not to say men above thirty weren't, but Shadow had a youthfulness about him, not quite the fine wine effect older gentlemen tended to have. He definitely reminded me of a younger Johnny Depp at the beginning of his career.

Cream smiled at the mischievous look rouge had and shook her head. "Do you think... he'd recognise us? If he saw us now?"

"I sure hope to chaos he doesn't."

"Shadow!" rouge snapped. "Stop that!"

I felt myself growing small and invincible the more they talked about their past experiences here on Earth with shadow occasionally making some snide remark. If they were telling the truth, which i still find myself struggling to believe, i wonder why i had never heard of superpowered animals before now. Not even a conspiracy theory about such things. Nothing.

Sonic and tails eventually returned with food for all of us. Sonic made it very clear he was very unimpressed with their so-called 'speed', but his opinion was greatly muddled with his pure delight of the chilli dogs. It made me smile inside, though outside, i was neutral. My mind was conflicted. Was i dreaming? Was i in some sort of coma from the incident? Was this actually all real? Or were these people just very colourful con artists? My mind spiralled into the night. Everyone eventually said their 'goodnights' and i did too, trying to not be too obvious about my internal predicament.

I sat in my bed for hours with my laptop trying my hardest to dig up anything on these people i had found myself hosting in my home. I looked as far back as 2003, hoping rouge's ballpark estimation of twenty years was accurate. There were a few forums on sketch sites about mysterious animals but chose to ignore it because anything on there was never any good. There was one old site that was obviously made in the early 2000s called TheBlueDevil.org and it had some interesting claims, but all the images were at best deep-fried or drawings from what i could only assume by a 5-year-old. I cringed at the image. I hoped that this wasn't an even close semblance of what I assumed was to be Sonic.

I looked at the time and it was 2 AM. I sighed deeply not knowing what else to look into, but then i remember the three were talking about some kid named Chris Thorndyke, his last name has been said later on when Tails joined the conversation. So i googled the name.

Of course, over a few hundred results showed up in this country alone. I scanned through every possible one that was about the right age and piqued any interest which narrowed the list down to government personnel, scientists, or people in medicine.

Twenty Chrises left.

I wanted to pull out my hair. This is crazy. I'm going crazy. My phone then began ringing. I jumped, startled, quickly answering it, hoping Shadow, in the room next door, or any of the others didn't hear it.

"H-hello?" i whispered

"What the fuck?" the person yelled into the phone. It was D.

Fuck. "shit. Sorry i never called you back, D... a lot of shit was going on"

"Uh-huh," she sounded unconvinced. "You ever get rid of that rat problem? Or has your landlord ignored your requests again?"
I cringed. "My rat problem is still an issue... they've seemingly moved in and brought the whole family..." i sighed.

"I swear– do i need to yell at your landlord again?"

"N-No!" i panicked.

"what?"I

"It's, uh... not their fault." i managed. "Y'know... with the whole earthquake thing... they've been busier with displacement and such." it wasnt completely a lie. D hummed. Do i tell her? Would she believe me? Should i wait until the others are out of the house? "Hey D..." i started. She hummed again in acknowledgement. "In a couple of days' time, do you think we could schedule a call? Ill tell you everything, i promise." i might as well. I need at least one sane person to knock some sense back into me–ground me.

"It's a date. In two days' time." she sounded much more agreeable. "You best not stand me up."

I smiled. "I could never, D. Night."

The next morning–or rather that same morning–i was rudely woken up by an angry gruff Shadow, banging on my door. I groaned loudly in protest and the very moody and out-of-line alarm clock i never asked for nor wanted. The banging kept on though.

"Wake the fuck up!" he growled on the other side of the door. I refused to answer and rolled onto my stomach. What an asshole. But the next thing i knew my bedroom door swung open. "It's 4 pm" he deadpanned, standing in the threshold.

Never mind then, that afternoon, i was rudely woken up.

I still didnt answer and turned onto my side, cuddling into my pillow as i smiled, pretending i was deep in sleep and was oblivious to his sheer audacity.

"Get up," he demanded, his voice sounding closer. "I know youre awake." i still said nothing. "Now," he growled, ripping off my blanket.
I flinched, sending him a glare quickly after, but i nearly flinched again, realising how close he was. I expected him to be at the foot of the bed, but he was at my bedside, glowering over top of me. I held my glare though, hoping he hadnt noticed he had startled me.

"Fuck off. Let me sleep."

He held his red-hot glare. His eyes made me uneasy, especially so close. "Absolutely not." then reached for my arm.

I quickly swatted his arm away. "Dont you dare touch me!" i seethed. "Go yell at the others!"
His hand hovered over my arm and his fist clenched. "Theyre not here."

My heart stopped for a moment, my gaze softening for a moment. What? "Why?" i asked a bit more unease. Why was he here and not with them then? I didnt know how i felt about being alone with him, especially right now.

"Finding others," he said. Oh. "now get up," he demanded again. "We need to have a little talk."