When the Snow Falls

Start from the beginning

"Oh, nothing." you first shrug before a knowing smile takes over, handing him one of the cups he sensed with a sweet cocoa aroma, "Was just searching for a certain hard-headed friend of mine. I couldn't find him inside. How about you?"

The boy follows your mirth and mimicked your tone in a lighthearted and playful manner, not before accepting your offer with warm palms and nonverbal gratitude. "Oh nothing, just watching the snow, I couldn't watch it inside."

A snort leaves you, "Yeah, watching the snow tooo intensely, aren't you? Look at your hair!" you ruffled his burgundy hair to dust the snowy sprinkle away with your free hand as if you, yourself, weren't in a similar situation. You neverminded the proximity between you two, him probably less.

Tanjirou only lets out an apologetic smile, subconsciously leaning on your warmth.

When you're satisfied with your work, you took a few steps back to behold his newfound beauty – some rebellious snow particles weaved between his messy locks, yet perfectly framing his face – before you jokingly posed in admiration. "Ah, yes, now that's way better. Can't have the snow covering your pretty face now, can we?"

The male would only grin at your antics, embarrassed at your choice of words. The emptiness within felt as if it's suddenly invaded by warm butterflies.

You simply laugh along, your breaths materializing, as you then take your rightful place beside him and sat on the wooden fence (which was thick enough for sitting), letting your feet dangle in the cold air, and stare at the scenery of winter wonderland before you. Tanjirou, on the other hand, has his legs crossed, his body in the present while his mind is distant as if he locked himself in deep contemplation. Or, rather, in reminiscing.

Rough and warm palms wrapped around the cup, a companion by his side that had eliminated any feeling of loneliness; the atmosphere was just right for the cold. But it doesn't eliminate melancholia.

You hear him heave a sigh hinted by a humble chuckle, yet was void of any humor. He scratches his head with an apologetic expression, "Sorry for suddenly leaving... I was feeling a bit..."

Though, he doesn't really finish it.

"It's alright."

Your voice tickled his ears, your words tenfold. He gives you a glance, and you held serenity in your bearings – neither uncaring nor probing, but somewhere in between; patient and understanding. From the cold, your flush complexion cutely highlights the beauty in your visage, and he immediately looks away before you can catch staring, shoving his warm cup right under his nose. If you ever caught him, he just hoped to use the gelid temperature as an excuse for the scarlet embarrassment.

You often claim he was the kinder between you two, but how could he agree when you grace him with the peace he had resigned himself from?

He's thankful that it was you.

"Winter is beautiful, isn't it?" your lighthearted voice starts before you took a sip from your beverage, to fill his empty atmosphere because you know he isn't yet used to the life of silence.

Your companion hummed in agreement, ruby eyes softening as he stared at you once more.

But also full of dangers.

Tanjirou could never forget the day his world turned upside down; the vivid memories, the flooding emotions, the merciless winter, and the scent of blood. After that night, you and his little sister were the only ones left in his crumbling world – his only drive to keep moving forward Maybe if he really were left with nothing, he might have become mad. How he swore to protect both of your lives, even if it meant losing his.