"I always seem to concern you, don't I," I whispered gently, moving my hands up and down her back.

"Yes, you do. You damn idiot," Tess said between sobs.

Tess slowly lifted her head and looked down at me, gazing at me with her beautiful, watery eyes. I smiled and gazed into her pearls, getting lost in their sea of beauty. She brought her right hand up and gently caressed my face. She leaned down and pressed her lips against mine deeply, and I gladly returned the kiss. We slowly broke the kiss, and Tess leaned her forehead against mine.

"How're you feeling?" Tess asked, gently caressing my face.

I shrugged, "My head hurts a little. Other than that, I'm fine."

Tess nodded slightly and lifted her head, looking at me with a smile of relief, "I'm glad."

We stared into each other's eyes, getting lost in each other's warm embrace, smiling warmly at each other. My brows scrunched up in confusion, suddenly remembering we weren't in my tent, and Tess curiously tilted her head, seeing my expression.

"Where are we exactly?" I asked, looking around.

Tess followed my gaze, "We're back at the wall in a barracks room."

I looked back at her curiously. "We are? How did we get here? How long was I out?"

Tess's lips quivered, and her smile faded slightly, "You've been out for almost a day. Once you passed out, we carried you out of the boss room back to camp. Helen contacted Mother, who created a portal to us using the tracking rune she placed on you. From there, we gathered our supplies and returned to the camp. Since then, you've been resting here."

I let the information process before I nodded, "I see." Thoughts about the battle with the Scythe surface, "What about the Scythe and retainer?"

Tess's brows furrowed in anger, and her lips pressed together in a thin line, "We managed to kill the retainer, but not before he managed to kill about forty of our men. The Scythe, on the other hand, escaped."

My brows raised in surprise, "She did?" I sighed and looked to the side, "Damn. So even with the flames of destruction, I couldn't kill her, huh."

"The purple flames? Is that what that was?" Tess asked, and I looked at her and nodded. "And not exactly. She just dodged the purple flames and flew away."

"I see," I sighed. "And yes, the purple flames are known as the flames of destruction. It's one of the runes I got from training with the Djinn. They destroy everything within its path. Although, it comes at a price."

Tess flinched a little, and her brows raised in concern, "What exactly? Are you going to be okay?"

I gave her a reassuring smile, "Yes, I'll be fine." My smile faded as I thought about the power of destruction, "The rune takes over your mind, consuming you with anger. When I activated it, I saw you were all in danger, so I activated my destruction rune without thinking clearly in a last effort to kill her and protect you." My eyes fell, remembering the intrusive thoughts the rune put in my head, "Though when I did, I quickly lost control as I wasn't focused, and the power took over me. It takes a lot to control it, even a few seconds. I can't hold the power for long."

Tess nodded, "So that's what that was. You seemed like a completely different person." I felt her shiver slightly, "I was concerned when I saw it and had no idea what was happening."

I looked at her and smiled, "Sorry for worrying you." I raised my hand and gently caressed her face. Tess smiled warmly and nuzzled her head into the palm of my hand. "You don't need to worry, I'm fine now."