Ring | YuMark

*published this on ao3 too*

Warnings: none
Tags: fluff (ish), love at first sight (more or less), wrote this when I was supposed to be sleeping

Summary:

Inspired by what happened at ISAC in 2019 with Yuta and his runaway ring

Yuta listened absentmindedly as Jungwoo told them about the archery event he'll be participating later. He fiddled with his ring, spinning it on the tip of his finger by his side. Suddenly, the cool metal disappeared from his hand. He looked down to his right hand, empty, looking behind him, his eyes widened as he watched the ring quietly roll away... and right into someone's hands. "Shit." He whispered as he watched a black haired man, the group name 7Dream and name Mark on his name tag, pick up his ring, showing it to his group members.

"Did your ring just roll into that guy's hand?" Taeyong asked, looking towards the other group.

"Yup..." Yuta said in a pain filled voice.

"Go get it dumbass!" Doyoung scolded, pushing his shoulder.

Turn around, he got on his hands and knees and crawled the few steps closer to the guy, and tapped his shoulder.

"Huh?" Sharp and big eyes met his, and he felt his breath be taking away at the sight of him. Fuck he's handsome.

Releasing he was staring for a second too long he sputtered out, pointing to the ring in his hand, "Uh- that's my, my ring, it rolled here..."

"Oh! Yeah here." Mark was quick to hold the ring out.

Yuta grabbed it, their fingers brushing closely, he felt his cheeks heat up. "Thank you." He was quick to return to his spot, realizing how close their faces were.

"I take it he was cute?" Taeil teased.

"Handsome." He admitted shyly, putting the ring back on his finger, deciding to leave it alone and not fidget with it.

.

.

.

As soon as the other sat down, Mark turned to his group, "Wah, who was that?" He asked, wonderfully awestruck.

"You don't know?" Chenle asked astonished. "That was Nakamoto Yuta from NCT! How do you not know? They debut the same year as us –a few months before us."

"Oh." Mark said, scratching his head. "He's beautiful." He simply stated, a bit speechless still.

"Is our Markie in lovvveeee?" Donghyuck drew out the word annoying long.

He shove the younger away, "Yah, I'm not- I'm in love, just..." he looked over his shoulder at Yuta, his shaggy long black hair facing him. "Interested."

.

.

.

He found himself standing beside Mark as they waited for their members to come back around the track for the 400m relay. They were to run the last leg. His eyes kept glancing between watching Doyoung approach and staring at Mark's side profile.

He didn't have much time to frankly, as both Doyoung and Mark's group mate, Jeno, fastly approached. Yuta grabbed the baton from Doyoung's hand, and ran. He could hear Mark not far behind him. He didn't worry about the other two teams, Doyoung and Jeno had widened the gap with them ages ago. Out of the corner of his vision he found Mark right beside him, a little too close as they started to round the corner, both trying to be as close inwards as possible to lessen the distance without trying to trip each other; but their efforts were in vain as he felt himself fall, another body going down with him.

With a quickly utter curse in Japanese, he closed his eyes, waiting for the impact on the hard ground... except it wasn't as rough as he expected. Opening his eyes he found himself on top of someone, arm around his waist, his own between his and the other's chest. He looked up to find Mark's bewildered eyes looking at him. They locked eyes, and, as cheesy as it sounds, Yuta could believe that love at first sight was real. Despite this not being the first time they've seen each other—

The race.

Its as if electricity struck them and they remembered where they were. They sat up, Yuta found himself straddling the handsome Korean, but gave himself no time to blush as he got up, offering Mark a hand which he gladly took before they picked up their batons just as the other two teams' members ran passed them, their fall giving them just enough time to catch up. Ever the competitive ones, Yuta sprinted, Mark not far behind.

Despite feeling aches all over his body from the fall, Yuta ran as fast as he could, thighs burning slightly as he found himself level with the others. He ran, the ribbon a few more meters in front of them, and he was in front of the others, he can still win!

He's almost there...

just a little bit more–

He watched in slow-mo disbelief as Mark shot passed him, ribbons flying from the staffs' fingers as he ran through it.

As he himself passed the finish line, he allowed himself to sink to the ground with an opened jaw.

"We got second!" Jungwoo cheered as his group crowded around him, Johnny picked him off the ground to stand up.

"You okay Yuta?" Taeyong asked, ever the concerned leader, only letting out a sigh of relief when he nodded.

"I can't believe you two fell together, and on top of one another." Jaehyun mused. "It was like watching a kdrama, but like in five seconds."

"I really thought I would cross the finish line first." Yuta admitted, still shocked. Suddenly Jungwoo smacked his arm and pointed over his shoulder. Turning around he found Mark walking towards him. "Oh hey." He said with nod as the Korean stood in front of him. Glancing over his shoulder he found his group members gone, traitors.

"Hey... I just wanted to apologize for tripping you up during the race," Mark apologize, hand on the back his neck, a apologetic smile on his lips.

Yuta shook his head, "It's also my fault, we both were getting too close to each other so- yeah."

"Getting too close? Hm... personally I don't think we're close enough." Mark's shy smirk turned into a smirk as he handed the Japanese a slip of paper.

Shocked at the younger's boldness, he took the paper, finding a phone number scribbled on it. His jaw dropped. "Wh- I-" he stuttered, unsure what to say, flustered.

"Call me later." Mark said, bringing his hand up in the 'call me' pose as he stepped backwards before turning around, jogging back to his group.

Yuta stood still for a second before he blushed, looking between the paper and up at Mark.

"Oo! Someone's getting laid tonight!" Johnny said as he swung an arm across his shoulders.

Yuta smiled softly as he dragged back into celebration, thinking back to Mark. Maybe he will call him later... to congratulate him on winning of course.

_____________________

Thoughts?

Might write a part two with smut, dunno yet

Hope y'all enjoyed this short and sweet oneshot ^-^