Chapter 4.5

Rin Pov

Lucifer is sitting on a literal throne with more stairs that lead up to it...

What is with this place and stairs? The throne stairs don't even have railings to slide down!

Lucifer's confidence is nice, but the narcissism could be worked on.

The room seems to glow as I look around: every surface, corner, and window has been polished and maintained. There are two white couches on each side of Lucifer's throne... Lucifer smiles down at me... This sets me off.

I launch at him claws drawn out. 

I attack his face first. 

He will heal but at least I can make this painful. 

He set this all up just so he could capture me. 

I don't want to be his toy or pet. 

I am perfectly content with Samael.

He snarls as I rip through his cheek. He grabs the back of my neck and my body becomes paralyzed.

The biggest disadvantage of being a Neko is. Though I can still bite if I can get close enough.

I continue to hiss at him as he moves me around a arm's length away. He holds me above the ground by my neck. It doesn't hurt but it is uncomfortable. He sighs softly and looks at me.

"It seems you are in better health now," Lucifer says softly.

I stop hissing in response.

The worst part about him, beyond his unreadable demeanor, is just how soothing his voice is. Every word, no matter the context calms me in a way I utterly despise. Every time I am around him my place is undeniable and my instincts seem to override any spite I have. With a single sentence, he tears down from my high horse.

What I hate even more is that I don't seem to mind.

"Now that you are calm I think an explanation is due," Lucifer sighs putting on his mask.

He carried me to one of the couches and he sets me down and he sits next to me. Then he lets go of my neck. I stay where he placed me. As much as I wanted to hiss at him and move to the opposite side of the couch, his words drew me closer.

"The cult was guilty of trafficking Nekos. We found them and their associates. This place is a Neko sanctuary. We care for Neko's until they are ready to go home or we keep them here as permanent residents." He explains checking his claws for any damage. "This particular cult was notorious for their sedatives and brainwashing. We have been successful in undoing most of their damage, however, we will keep you here until we are sure you are in perfect health. It may take months but we will try all we can to make it comfortable for you."

How stupid does he think I am?

'It may take months' and 'all we can' couldn't be more shallow attempts to hide his intentions. At least Mephisto was smart enough to at least try and be honest!

Lucifer was clawing at this chance ever since I ran from Mephisto. He would be stupid to let it go to waste.

"If this is an attempt to get me to join the Illuminati then you can let me go because my answer is no," I state moving away from him. I can't do much about how his voice makes me feel, but distance can help calm the effects he has on me.

"I am not expecting a reward for taking care of you," He says as if he is offended?

I turn my head towards him, making a fatal mistake as I do so. Even though his face is covered, his piercing eyes still latch onto me.

Damn it.

My curiosity is going to get me killed one day.

But in truth, I had to look. He shouldn't be offended by my assumption, all he has done since the first day I saw him was try and get me to join him. What else was he expecting?

"Once you are cleared then you are free to return with Samael." He clarified as his voice sunk back into the soothing melody it so often was. "If do happen to enjoy it here we could work out an agreement. Many of the Nekos we rescue could benefit from a strong and resilient figure. You have the strength many of your kind lack; I am certain you help them." Lucifer adds.

I had Mr. Abe before with my Neko classmates. I wasn't perfect, but I did manage to stop some from crying. Maybe I could be helpful here, after all these Nekos are probably terrified.

Wait no- Dammit he's doing it again.

Using his stupid pretty voice and shiny eyes to get me to like it here.

I didn't come here willingly, and I don't intend on staying no matter how much he sweet-talks me!

"Have you told Mephisto I am here?" My voice shook as I asked.

Perfect! Deflection is the most obvious way to avoid a question.

Under any circumstance, I would have thought of something smarter.

But saying that alone was hard enough with Lucifer's eyes pinned on me.

"Yes, he has been informed of your circumstance."

"Then where is he?" My tail began to slide back and forth, an unconscious habit of mine to help negate stress. It helps more than hiding it away.

Mephisto should be here, he is my mate and wouldn't just leave me in the clutches of Lucifer.

"I am not sure." Lucifer's eyes moved over to my tail. "This is neutral ground, he is welcome to visit you as he wishes."

My ears perk up.

If Lucifer is true, then Mephisto is avoiding me?

Why-why else would he not be here? This is neutral ground, he won't be attacked or charged for coming to see me. Even if he did have to pay or fight someone he should still be here! He's my mate, what's a mate worth if they fail to show up at a recovery facility?

"I understand how hard this may be for you, especially with Samael's absence." Lucifer moved closer. "I swear by my honor that no harm will come to you. Egyn has a few tests he needs to run to ensure the sedative is no longer in your veins."

"Sure, as long as it is necessary," I say without thinking.

it's hard to even think in this moment.