Chapter 32: Full Kook

Start from the beginning

"Does anyone actually have any good ideas," Evelyn asked looking around at her friends.

"You're supposed to be one of the smart ones," JJ said, "I don't see you coming up with anything.

"What about the breaker?" Sarah asked, "In the circuit box on the porch. We use to play hide-and-seek here as kids. And if we were brave enough, we'd go all the way up to the porch."

"She's right, I've seen it," Evelyn agreed.

"No, no. You're not going in the house alone," John B said.

"Watch me," Sarah said.

"Crain chops people into pieces," JJ said looking at Sarah.

"If you believe that, but she's what, 85?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah, something like that," JJ said.

"She's probably barley still kicking," Sarah said.

"I'll go with you," Evelyn offered.

"Absolutely not," JJ said grabbing the girls arm.

"Look," Evelyn said turning to JJ, "Do you want to get to gold or not?"

"I'll go too," Kiara said.

"We'll wait for your signal," Pope said.

"Okay, cool," Sarah said standing up.

"Hey," John B said, "Be safe."

Evelyn went to stand up JJ still had his grip on her arm. She looked at the boy who was giving her a worried look, "I'll be fine. I promise," Evelyn assured him.

JJ slowly loosened his grip letting go of the girls arm, "You better be."

Evelyn followed Kiara as the girls creeped closer to the house.

"She must have a generator plugged into the main power supply," Kiara said and the girl quietly climbed the stairs to the house.

Sarah shinned her flashlight on the breaker box as Kiara opened it up.

"Where are the breakers?" Evelyn questioned as they all looked at the empty box.

"What is this?" Kiara questioned.

"It goes inside," Evelyn said following cables up the house with her flashlight.

Kiara walked over to the old metal door opening is slowly with a creak. She turned the knob on the door, it opening. Kiara stopped when the front door creaked, not wanting to alert anyone inside. Evelyn squeezed through the opening shining her flashlight around the house. A cat yowled caused Evelyn to jump, looking down as it scurried away from the girls

"Guy, we gotta hurry," Evelyn whispered.

The three followed the lines from the outside as they went deeper into the house, eventually leading them to a breaker box on the wall.

"All right," Kiara said switching off the breakers as quietly as she could.

A sound made the girls gasp and Evelyn and Sarah turned off their flashlight. Evelyn closed her eyes smashing her body tightly to the wall behind them.

"Guys," Evelyn whispered.

"I think it might have just been a clock," Kiara said as shuffling thumping started coming from upstairs.

"I don't think that's a clock, Kie," Evelyn whispered.

"It's--it's late, Leon," the old woman said, "Too late."

Evelyn squeezed her eyes shut, covering her mouth trying to control her breathing.

"I can hear you, Leon," Mrs. Crain growled as she walked right past the girls.