Hidden Truths

• Present Day •

It'd  been 3 months exactly since my mother passed. Today was one of the easier days since her death. In total four hours asleep, two more than normal before I woke up in a puddle of my own sweat gasping for air after another nightmare. Events of that day playing on a nonstop loop terrorizing my mind, and my sleep wasn't safe from it either.

I got out of bed, like usual and began making my way to the pack kitchen. I hadn't really spoke to my beta since the day she stuck a needle in my neck. Still rubbing the place on my neck I felt the ghost pain from every time I recalled that day.

As pissed as I was, I knew she only did it to save my image. The pack couldn't see me weak, especially now when our enemies seemed to increase with every passing day. Still it didn't help my anger towards her. At this point I didn't know whether I was mad at her or the fact I let my weakness show. How vulnerable I let myself get that day.

The pack was taking the loss of their Luna just as I thought. My mother had been the only one to bring the pack out of what we called The dark ages.

That day that haunted me everyday. Fucked with my brain, creating all different types of nightmares.That day is when all of our lives changed. I wasn't the only one who's mind played tricks on them in their sleep, making them relive every single second over and over. Lots of the wolf's in our pack were plagued with nightmares. My mother had did her best to try and heal the wounds of our pack, and I did the same once I took the Alpha position. We were much better now since my mother took over as Luna, but there was just some things too deep to heal. Didn't mean I still wouldn't do everything in my power to help heal the mental scars of my pack. I had brought wolf's who specialized in psychology to work with some of the wolf's my age who were young when it happened.

My mother had always tried to get me to see one myself but there was no fixing me. I was far too broken, far too gone. I could handle the nightmares, the pain, the fear. There were others who could be helped, saved. People who weren't too broken to fix.

Quickly, I shook the memory from my head and continued my way towards the stairs.

Making my way down the spiral stairs, pass the foyer and into the main kitchen, I saw some of the pack elders huddled together on the far right of the kitchen.

As I advanced to them, all their hushed whispers and frantic hand movements seemed to stop.

"Alpha I didn't notice you there how was your rest?" One of the pack elders stammered out as they all bowed to me in submission.

I knew she was lying, I could feel it in our bond. She could smell me before I ascended the stairs. But I would let it slide for now.

Fina Dreklaus. She was the leader of the elders for a while now. Someone my mother always told me to watch.

Till this day I never knew the bad blood between them, but I was sure my mother was just superstitious of the old lady. Sure she was annoying and irritated me with all her rambling and snooping in my business, but other than that she was harmless.

"My sleep was well Elder Dreklaus, but I would like to know what of such importance is be being discussed at six in the morning without me present." I was starting to lose my patience now, the elders had been meeting in secret for a couple weeks not, thinking I hadn't realized what they were up to.

I was too busy to worry about it then, but now I was done with whatever petty schemes they had planned to get me out my Alpha title.

It wasn't secret that they weren't pleased that a she-wolf was Alpha. Hell, nobody was. When I first took the title at nineteen I had to fight ten Alphas for it. Usually only male wolfs from my pack could challenge me, but since my pack was a special case, other Alphas could try and stake there claim on my title.