*.~ Chapter Twenty-Three: Born Into This World ~.*

Start from the beginning

It wasn't long until your father became a very well-known doctor. He cured one of the most fastest-spreading plagues in the walls. Not even long after that, the Commandant got promoted to Commander as he watched your parents get married.

He remembers returning back from a mission, seeing Carla holding two kids in her arms.

"Carla," he spoke, walking up to her. "Who are the kids?"

A tiny boy with green eyes and brown hair was in Carla's left arm, while a sleeping girl with h/c hair and closed e/c eyes was in her right. The girl was sick but her father was not around at the moment to take care of her sickness.

"Eren and [Name]. Our baby boy and girl," Carla said. "I guess the news never made it your way. My husband worries about you."

The Commandant recounts the time he yelled at her before talking about when Shiganshina fell. Grisha called out to him in the crowd. 

"Eren, you must avenge her." He recalls Grisha saying to Eren. The Commandant remembers trying to go after them, but didn't due to it being a 'family affair.'

"What about your daughter?" Commandant asked the man, who was walking away with his son. "You're just gonna leave her?"

"She will do just fine. Just let her be."

"My kids aren't like you, Keith. Eren and [Name] are my son and daughter. Please don't get involved."

...

"I carried you back to the shelter and left... and that is all I know."

You feel a frown make it's way on your lips, but you don't know why. You could say that you feel a bit bothered by what you learned about your father, like how he was outside the walls for example.

"At least now I know the real reason you chose to resign," Hange said in a stern tone. "Not to atone for all the soldiers you got killed, but because you realized that you're not a special snowflake. Just a delusional, self-centered child."

"Lay off him, Hange," Levi said to the now-raging Squad Leader.

They continued, "You had no right to keep all of this to yourself, just to spare your own ego. We pledged to give our lives and our hearts for the good of mankind!" Hange soluted with a hand over their heart.

"Please let it go, Commander," you hear Eren next to you mutter. "The Commandant was right. Just like him, I was never special. Looks like... I was just the son of a man who was. That's all there is to it."

Commandant thought to himself before speaking again. "After I yelled at her, this is what your mother said back."

"Why should anyone have to be special?" Carla looked up at him. "That just isn't the way I like to look at things. When it comes to my children, I don't care if one grows up to be great and one doesn't. They don't need to be better than anyone else or eachother. After all, just look at them both. They're both so cute. Eren and [Name] are special enough already in their own way."

"For no other reason than that they were born into this world together."

~