Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

Damon had just returned from dropping Liz off at home after compelling her. Lucy didn't ask specifics but the glint in his eye told her he hadn't stuck straight to the script. Before she could comment, her phone buzzed announcing Elijah requesting a face call.

She answered with a smile. "Well, if it isn't my favorite vampire."

"Hey," her roommates said in unison as they pouted.

She couldn't help but laugh and even Elijah chuckled. "Hello, little one. I need to speak with your Salvatores as well if you would summon them."

They came and sat on either side of her, leaning in to wave at the Original. "What's up?" Lucy asked.

"I have a task I would like them to complete. I find myself short of reliable help these days and need someone I can trust to be discrete." He sounded tired and Lucy wondered what all was going on with him. She hated when he worked himself too hard.

The brothers exchanged a glance and a shrug. "What's the task?" Damon asked.

Elijah pursed his lips. "I believe I have located something I have been searching for. I need the two of you to confirm the information for me."

"Don't you have minions for this sort of thing?" Lucy asked.

"Yes, well, I've had some unfortunate loyalty issues as of late. I people I know I can trust. And no, you can't go. It's too dangerous."

Lucy rolled her eyes but remained quiet. The boys exchanged a look before turning back to the screen. "We would be happy to help, but we won't leave the girls here unprotected. Katherine's been quiet but I have a feeling she's just biding her time," Stefan said.

"I don't need a babysitter," Lucy argued.

"Yes, you do," three male voices responded in unison. Caroline chuckled from the other side of the room.

Lucy twitched in annoyance. "Fine. Then I want Lexi."

Both Salvatores immediately nodded their heads. "That would work nicely," Damon agreed. "She has to come up from Georgia. We can head off as soon as she gets here."

"Very well. Simply call when you are ready to depart." Elijah turned his full attention back on his niece. "Enough business. How have you been?"

She shrugged. "Okay."

"She got shot," Stefan piped up from beside her. Lucy turned her glare on him only for him to ignore her as his lips twitched in amusement.

"Lucy?" Elijah said to reclaim her attention.

She looked at him with wide innocent eyes. "What? I got better."

The vampire sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose as he looked at the floor.

Damon shook as he failed to stifle his laughter and she elbowed him in the ribs. "Hush you."

***

"Caroline, why do you volunteer for absolutely everything?" Lucy asked with a groan as they arrived at the Lockwood's the next day. As part of the never-ending Founder's celebrations, the Lockwoods were hosting a masquerade. Caroline had agreed to help with the decorating and had dragged her friends along to help.

"You've got to quit being such a hermit, Lucy. It's good for you to get out of the house every now and then," Caroline responded with a nudge.

The brothers chuckled lowly from where they trailed behind their girlfriends. Lucy raised a hand to flip them off without a look in their direction. "I don't mind getting out of the house," she argued. "It's just...people." She gestured at all the workers and volunteers buzzing around the area.

Caroline rolled her eyes as she grabbed her friend's hand to drag her off and find where they would be the most useful.

Two hours later, Damon found them elbows deep in a flower arrangement where they were switching out red roses for burgundy. It really made all the difference. Or so Lucy had been told, anyway. He laced his fingers with hers and glanced around before leading her away. He looked over his shoulder. "You too, blondie. Let's go."

Caroline frowned but followed along just the same. The walked around the side of the house to meet up with Stefan. He placed a finger to his lips so they'd be quiet as they joined him. It was obvious he was listening to something far away. She leaned into his side and his arm automatically found its way around her waist as he kissed her temple.

Stefan's gaze suddenly focused and he pursed his lips. "We have a problem."

Lucy huffed a laugh. "Don't we always."

He didn't respond beyond flicking his eyes in her direction. "Mason Lockwood is working with Katherine."

"Why?" Caroline asked.

"We think they're dating," he explained.

Damon rolled his eyes. "Having sex does not equal dating. This is Katherine we're talking about."

"How did you find out?" Lucy asked.

"Bonnie had a vision," Stefan said.

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Just because she didn't like the witch didn't mean she wasn't occasionally useful. It just meant Lucy didn't like to admit it.

"That's not all. He also has the moonstone."

She frowned. "What moonstone?"

"The one binding the curse." Damon sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "You're sure?"

His brother nodded. "Tyler just told Jeremy."

Lucy's head hurt. "Why is the little Gilbert involved in this? Why do we even care in the first place? What is going on? This is what happens when you plot without me."

Caroline laughed then covered her mouth to muffle the sound. Lucy grinned at her though she'd only been partially joking.

"It was one of the things Elijah is looking for. He'd heard a rumor it was in town," Damon finally explained after a stretch of quiet.

Irritation slithered through her. She didn't like being left out of things, especially when Elijah was involved. She also didn't care for the feeling she'd been getting lately that the boys knew something about her uncle they weren't sharing. She swallowed her annoyance and nodded. After all, they were only following orders. Maybe she shouldn't have introduced them to each other.

"Well, what are we going to do?" Stefan asked.

"I guess we need to talk to Mason."

Lucy looked at Damon with a raised brow. "That should be easy. You all have such a friendly relationship after all."

He gave her a look that said he didn't find her amusing in the slightest.

"Why don't you just kidnap him?" Caroline suggested after a beat, causing the other three to stare at her in surprise.