Remus and the Realisation

Start from the beginning

"I wish we didn't have to say goodnight." She responded, squeezing his hand.

"I know." Remus said softly. "But I'll see you soon."

Remus leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead. With a final lingering look, Freya stepped forward and answered the riddle that granted her access to the Ravenclaw tower. She waved at Remus as she ascended the stairs, and he watched her until she disappeared from view. He turned to make his way to Gryffindor, feeling a sense of contentment despite the looming challenges they faced.

As Remus walked back to the Gryffindor common room, he thought about Freya. He thought about their relationship. He thought about the ups and downs they had faced in the last few months, but ultimately, he thought about how glad he was that she was in his life.

The realisation struck him like a bolt of lightning, leaving him breathless and uncertain. Did he love Freya? It was a feeling he had never experienced before. Of course, he loved his friends and family, but this felt different, a mix of warmth, longing and vulnerability. He worried if it was too soon to tell her, too soon to admit something so profound when they had only known each other for a short while.

Lost in his thoughts, he found himself standing before the portrait of the Fat Lady. The door to the Gryffindor common room would only open if he presented the correct password. Remus stared at the portrait, trying to remember the password that had been changed a few days ago.

His mind, however, was preoccupied with thoughts of Freya. He replayed their conversations, their laughter, and how her eyes sparkled when she spoke about something she cared about. 

"Are you alright, young man?" the Fat Lady inquired, noticing his distracted state.

Remus blinked, realizing he had been standing there silently for quite some time. "Oh, I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember the password at the moment."

The portrait tutted and replied, "Honestly, you Gryffindors and your forgetfulness. The password is 'wattlebird.'"

"Wattlebird." Remus repeated, and the portrait swung open to reveal the Gryffindor common room.

As he stepped inside, Remus sank into one of the cosy armchairs by the fireplace. The flickering flames cast dancing shadows on the walls, mirroring the turmoil in his heart. He knew he had to be cautious, he didn't want to overwhelm Freya with his newfound emotions.

"Love." Remus whispered to himself, testing the word on his tongue. It felt both exhilarating and terrifying. He had never allowed himself to get close to someone in this way before, fearing the potential pain that could come with it. But with Freya, it felt different. It felt worth the risk.

As he sat there, deep in thought, Remus decided that he would not tell her. Not yet, anyway. It was too soon. He didn't want to rush things or pressure her in any way. After his decision, Remus felt a sense of peace settle over him, and decided that it was time to go to bed. 

The following day, Remus felt nervous to see Freya. What if she could read his mind? What if she took one look at him and knew that he loved her?

He was supposed to meet her in the library that evening to do some revision. As he walked to their usual table, he began picking at the sleeves of his jumper, which caused him to stumble. Thankfully, he did not fall over, but his cheeks burned red, even more so when he noticed that she had seen him, and was watching him with an amused smile on her lips.

He sat down next to her at the large oak table in silence, avoiding her gaze.

Freya flipped through her potions textbook, her brows furrowed in concentration. "This potion is so complicated. I can't seem to remember all the steps." She whispered to him quietly.

Remus's nerves melted away at the sound of her voice. 

They spent the next few hours reviewing various subjects, sharing notes, and explaining complex theories to each other. Their revision sessions were filled with occasional laughter, supportive words, and the occasional sigh of frustration. Remus found himself admiring Freya's intellect and determination, and she was grateful for his patience and ability to explain difficult concepts in simpler terms.

As the sun began to set outside, casting a warm glow through the library windows, they decided to take a short break.  Leaving their books behind, they stepped outside to get some fresh air for a few minutes. 

"This is hard work." Freya said with a small smile, leaning against the stone wall of the castle. "But I'm glad I have you to study with. It makes it less overwhelming."

Remus nodded in agreement. "I feel the same way. Studying together has made it a lot more bearable. And to be honest, I enjoy spending time with you, no matter the circumstances."

A blush crept onto Freya's cheeks, and she looked away, momentarily shy. "I enjoy your company too, Remus."

Now it was Remus's turn to blush. 

The words hung in the air between them, and Remus felt his heart beat a little faster. He wanted to tell her how much she meant to him, how she had brought joy and love into his life, but the timing still felt uncertain.

Instead, he simply smiled and said, "We make a good team, don't we?"

Freya smiled back, her eyes shining with affection. "Yes, we do."

As the evening sun dipped below the horizon, they returned to their books, renewed with determination to conquer their exams. But as they studied, Remus couldn't help but think about how fortunate he was to have found not just a study partner in Freya but also a kindred spirit, someone who understood the complexities of being a werewolf and who made him feel understood and loved.

As the night wore on, they continued revising, their shared laughter and support echoing through the library. Amidst the academic stress, their connection grew stronger, and Remus knew that whatever the future held, he wanted Freya to be a part of it, not just as a study partner but as someone he could share his life with in all its joys and challenges.