Annabeth furrowed her brow. "I thought Perseus was a son of Zeus."

Percy let loose a sardonic smile. "That Perseus is. My mother named me after him in hopes that I would survive and pursue a happy, successful life." Annabeth's eyebrows twitched at the sarcasm in his voice. "Where did you come from then, Annabeth?"

Annabeth told him about the village of Pegai where she grew up.

"And you say you knew not of your parents?" Percy asked.

She shook her head. "I was told the archon picked me up as an abandoned baby in a rundown temple and then gave me to his family's tutor to raise. I have never met my parents." Annabeth hesitated. "But I remember Lord Triton saying that I was a daughter of...Athena?"

"Your disposition, along with the color of your eyes, certainly would lead us to believe so."

"That...that is not possible." Annabeth said in bewilderment.

"You ate that piece of ambrosia on your plate earlier. Unless you are of godly descent, even that small of a piece would incinerate you immediately. In addition, you broke through through a magical barrier above my palace. No mere mortal would be able to do so. So, how did you end up here?"

Percy listened patiently as she recounted the fight with the amphisbaena, and how the archon had delivered her as a bride to the gods in sacrifice. Monsters were attracted to the scent of demigods. Her description of her unfound strength in the fight did not surprise him as most demigods had more strength than normal mortals, but the age at which her first monster had appeared did. Many demigods did not live to be her age.

He abruptly changed the subject. "Where did you get this dagger?"

Annabeth spotted the weapon in Percy's hands. "That dagger? I stole it from the archon in defense when I realized he poisoned me. What do you mean many demigods don't live to be my age?"

The archon of Pegai, Percy mused. He had not heard of Pegai, though he traveled frequently. This archon was turning to be more suspect. Did the village leader know the true potential this dagger had? He had to investigate more.

"I mean exactly that, daughter of Athena. Most demigods, particularly those with a strong scent, are killed by monsters, even if they did have training. And you, judging by your story, did not have training."

"But you lived, Lord Perseus. And you became a god. Like Heracles."

"We are but a few exceptions. Most children of gods do not have...happy lives."

Annabeth bit her lip as she considered his words. "I still don't believe it."

"Do not believe what?"

"That I am a daughter of Athena. As you said, monsters would have found me already, and I should be dead by now. And if I am a child of the gods, why then, do they not...notice us? If Athena was my mother, then why would she not show herself to me? I've always prayed to the gods many times to know of my parents, to have some sort of sign."

Percy sent her a look of pity. "Most, if not all, demigods are acknowledged by the age of twelve or thirteen as is when monsters first start to attack. Yours is a...special case. The gods are fickle in nature, and even more so when dealing with mortals. Do not let it burden you or take it to heart." He advised her.

"You speak as though you are not a god yourself."

"That's because I was once a demigod like you and have experienced much."

He, too, had often wondered why the Fates had written his path like this. In a way, Percy pitied the daughter of Athena more. He at least had the love of his mother, an adoring sister, and a stepfather who treated Percy like he was his own son. Percy knew of his heritage in due time and was thus both prepared in mind and trained in body and swordsmanship to defend him from the hordes of monsters.