~14~

"They found his body in an alley," Her nonchalance only confirms my theory about her marriage, but it's worse apparently. "thrown like trash. He was quite pitiable but I had more problems then. Marylene kept getting sick and I was running low on money." One look at my watch indicates that I have been here for thirty minute already, I must go home. Mrs. Rodernam, though chatty, doesn't have any answers for me. This journey was futile.

I make a move to go to the door. Her dog lying on the doormat gives a strong bark, I hear scrambling outside the door. Someone was eavesdropping! I want to run after them but also fear assuages me. This is not a safe place already, caution keeps me grounded on the spot.

"It's nothing. It must be the kids from across the street." she says not getting up. I calm down. I have to step over the dog to get to the door. My foot slides because of the liquid. The dog seems to smile haughtily. Damn, it was dog pee. I want to kick that despicable monster, but I refrain. I descend the stairs and cross the road again. To my surprise, the cab I came in is still there. The driver opens the window when I stop at the passenger door. "Get in." He says. I don't need to be told twice.

He drops me off at the Laureate. I give him a handsome tip for waiting for me. He gives me a large grin and drives away. My trip to Greenwich village was a sham. De Laure should have known Pete is dead. He hasn't given me false intel before. Is he in on something behind my back? Suspicion grips me. And also who was following me, again? How did they know where I was? I recall the other day after work. I dismissed it but maybe it's all connected.

I shake my head. It's possible for De Laure to be wrong once in a while. Maybe it was all a coincidence. I take the elevator to the house. I am astounded to see wet marks on the carpet leading to the door. Only one foot left them. I proceed cautiously. I open the door and it gives. Blood runs cold in my veins.

I push the door slowly, inside it is dark except for the kitchen. I walk cautiously to the lit room. Sticking my head in the opening, I see no one. I cautiously step into the doorway. Sprawled on the floor, I see Carter doing push ups, shirtless. Loud groans emanate from him. I am taken aback.

He sits up after doing ten more. He is surprised to see me looking at him. He gets up and grabs a towel from the floor. He wipes sweat from his forehead and his chest. "Hey." He says.

I snap out of a reverie, "Oh, hi." I stand awkwardly in the doorway. I remember the marks, "what are those stains in the hallway?" I ask.

He takes a gulp of water before answering. He takes a while to swallow it. "I went shopping and stepped in a puddle." He says with a frown on his face.

I laugh at the coincidence, "Me too." I say without thinking. He looks at me with squinted eyes.

"Really?" He sounds incredulous.

I raise my foot to show him. Water trickles out, I mean pee. "It's dog pee." I rectify. I bend and remove the shoe. It falls to the floor with a disgusting squelch.

"Where did you go?" He asks with a grin on his face. The grin doesn't reach his eyes, which are cool, almost glaring.

I realize I have said too much and I can't just get out of this one simply by leaving the room, "I went for a walk." I pick the shoe up, "I should get cleaned up." I say and hurry out of the room. After a long relaxing bath, I slip into a short pink, silk, nightdress and wrap a translucent robe over it.

I return to the living room. A faint tune catches my ear. I walk towards the balcony where it is coming from. Carter doesn't turn when I walk onto the balcony and sit beside him. I pour myself a glass of Moet and sip it sparingly wondering what on earth Carter is thinking about this late at night.