CH09 KISS HER BACK

Start from the beginning

“You will do well. Let’s get started.”

He gestured her to go to the stage to the fixed mic and added, “Vansh, I want you to listen on the headphones for the dips and peaks.”

Vansh walked over to the side where the sound system was set up and put on his headphones. Abhimanyu came to stand next to her, and she inadvertently took a half-step away.

“Relax, Akshara. I don’t bite.” He chuckled, and the words made her mind go down a deep, dark desire-filled hole.

She stood frozen as he adjusted the microphone to be close to her and said, “I will play the music in the background just like how it would be on the day of the concert. Listen to the music, know every beat, every subtle high and low, and make your voice flow with the beat.”

She nodded. “Easy for you to say.”

“Vansh and I are here to help. Forget where you are, just focus on the music.” Abhimanyu’s voice was soft, and that put her slightly at ease.

“Okay.”

“One more thing,” he said, taking a step back from her and sweeping his eyes up and down her body.

“We need to fix your posture.”

“My what?” she asked, moving her headset away.

He stood next to her and placed his hand on his abdomen. “Hold your core steady, feet apart, and roll your shoulders.”

She followed his instructions and stood as he asked her to and said,

“I’m ready.”

Two hours passed, and the practice was going as she had expected it to go—horribly. It took her an hour to get past the first line, and they were now stuck on the second one. What surprised her most was how calm and composed Abhimanyu was, and Vansh was the one who was getting impatient.

The worst part is she didn’t know what was wrong with the way she was singing. She didn’t know what Abhimanyu meant when he kept saying something is off.

Vansh finally gave up and stepped out to take a break.

Akshara stood on the stage feeling embarrassed that she wasn’t able to sing like Abhimanyu wanted her to sing as he listened to her voice recording.

“I know what’s happening,” he said, coming up the stage, a small smile on his face.

“What?”

“Your tongue is tensed, and you are not able to break out of it.”

“No, I’m not.”

“You don’t realize it, but…” He held his hands up, almost touching her face and asked, “May I?”