CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

"You," he spat with contempt, "did nothing. And I'm sorry if I'm not the perfect son you want, but I would never bend to please you. I owe you nothing."

Andrew stared back at him blankly, and Trey found himself wishing their parents had never met. He hated the idea of his wonderful mother being married and subjected to this stone-cold wall of a man.

Andrew exhaled, stepping forward and away from Valerie who had regained her composure. "I did not come here to squabble with you. I came for business purposes."

Trey gave a harsh laugh. It was always money and work for his dad. He and his mom—and later Melissa—had always been neglected in favor of money. Not that he hadn't been rich already; he just wanted more.

It was never enough.

But he was different; he wasn't his father. He would not let that man's opinions mold him. "I don't know why how I run my business is any of your concern," he said evenly, unclenching his fists. "May I remind you that the company is mine, and I will do what I please with it," he snarled.

Andrew shook his head in disappointment, and it chafed at him more than he would've liked. "If you have nothing else to say, please take your wife and get out of my house."

"Very well," he muttered, casting a look in Valerie's direction. She nodded, grabbing her purse. He walked out of the living room and towards Trey. "I hope you realize that you've made your decision. Don't grumble about me not being in your life."

Trey smiled. "I stopped asking you a long time ago. In fact, I love it when you stay out of my way. If Valerie pulls another stunt like this, I'll cut you both out of my life. Understood?"

Andrew frowned like it had made an unpleasant taste in his mouth. Without awaiting an answer, Trey continued, saying, "Good. Now, be on your way before I have security show you out."

They stood, face to face, staring the other down. Andrew gave up, a twitch in the corner of his lip that Trey thought he'd imagined. Then without a word, he walked out. "I'm sorry," Valerie muttered, not looking sorry at all.

He wondered if she even knew what the word meant. "I'm hosting a family and friends' dinner on Saturday, and as a way of apologizing, I'd like it if you and your wife, as well as Melissa, attended."

"Follow your husband," was his reply. "I've had enough of you for one day." Valerie nodded and went in the direction of the front door. As soon as he heard it close, he allowed his shoulders to sag.

"You did good," Mitch praised. "Go calm yourself a bit. Speak to your wife and sister if necessary. I'll also check on Samantha and we'll meet up to discuss the next step. Good?" he whispered. He'd been deliberately vague, but Trey understood.

He nodded once, giving Mitchell a fierce hug. He needed it. 

*

Nicolysse Park sat staring out of her window, her lips curling snidely as she thought of Trey and his little wife he couldn't seem to let go of. Throughout college, she'd done her best to get his attention.

None had worked out.

The only time he'd briefly considered her was when his stepmother pushed her onto him with the threat of sending his sister off to live with her dad at the shelter, amidst drug abusers and drunkards if he didn't marry her.

Then Alexandra came along and ruined everything.

They had been so close to being married; Trey had proposed! But then the girl had caught Trey's interest in a way Nicolysse had never been able to, and she'd seen it.