Chapter 10: The Sacrifice

My brain felt like it was about to explode. First we find out our friends are piloting Mechon, then we found out the Bionis is the one attacking the Mechonis, and now this.

        "What do you mean, 'The Bionis Himself?'" Noah asked. Zanza just smirked.

"I mean that I am the Spirit of the Bionis. The Monado was created from me." He turned to me. "Whoever holds the Monado is supposed to be mine to control, but somehow you resisted it."

        It took me a minute to understand what he meant. "So were controlling Kevin the whole time?"

"Of course. Whenever he picked up the Monado, he was mine to control. However, when you obtained the Monado and unlocked its power, I couldn't control you. However, you were determined to carry out my mission anyway, so I remained inside the Monado, my spirit dormant." He flew towards me, his face directly in front of me.

        "However, I saw you begin to lose faith in my plan once you discovered your friends inside the Mechon. I was hoping you would still continue your mission, but it seems I was wrong.  You foolish Homs are too attached to each other." He backed up a little bit, and held up the Monado. "It's time. You used the Monado well, but you've outlived your usefulness." The Monado began to glow, and it flashed brightly, blinding me. When the light faded, I saw that the Monado had changed. It was now larger, and it had changed from red to silver. He pointed it at me, the tip of the blade glowing with energy. "Now that you know the truth, I must exterminate you! Say goodbye!"

"Goodbye!"

        I saw a silver blur, then when I looked up, Zanza was gone. I heard the giant Mechon yell, "Kevin, what are you doing?" I looked to my side, and I saw Kevin wrestling with Zanza. I heard him speak through his Mechon.

"Meyson! Take the others and flee to the Fallen Arm!" He pushed Zanza off of him and then flew towards him, extending his sword from his arm. "I won't let you get to them. I will save my friends!" Zanza turned and flew towards Kevin's Mechon.

"You want to be a hero? Then die a hero!" I  watched them cross each other, and when they stopped, Kevin's Mechon collapsed with a hole in the cockpit. Zanza stumbled as well, a cut across his chest.

"Stupid boy." He growled. "If I was back to my full power, I'd smash you flat." He started flying towards the ceiling. "I'm returning to the Bionis. From there, the fun will begin." At the last second, he disappeared in a flash of light.

...

        Kevin was in bad shape.

        The Monado had torn through the Cockpit of his Mechon entirely, and the blade had scraped across his chest, and it looked as if the damage would be irreparable. His breathing was shallow and his face was pale. I knew he wasn't going to make it.

        He stumbled out of his Mechon, falling to the ground in front of us. "Blake, you need to run. Zanza has more power than you could ever imagine. You'll need to become stronger to beat him." Then he turned to the giant Mechon.

"Master Meyson. Take them to the Fallen Arm. The Machina that are there will help them." He turned to me.

"Blake, you controlled the Monado. That proves that you're stronger than me. This battle is yours now. Go. Save the Mechonis. I know you can." Then he fell to the ground, and I knew he was gone.

        "There's no time to waste." I looked up at the Golden Mechon. "You're Meyson, correct?" I saw a hatch open in the Mechon's chest, and a Homs dropped out.

        At least, it looked like a Homs at first, but when it landed on the ground, I saw it looked like a Mechon, except it was human. "Are you a Homs?" I asked. He began laughing.

"An honest mistake, but I am a Machina! We are the people of Mechonis!"

"There were people on Mechonis?" 

Noah turned to me. "Who did you think were leading the Mechon? When I woke up on Mechonis, I found Meyson standing over me, talking to another Machina about creating a new Face and using me as it's pilot. I got the jump on them because they thought I was unconscious, and I managed to escape into the Valley. That's where they cornered me. They sent the Faces to stop me. They brought me back here, and Meyson was impressed. Instead of making me into a Face unit, he put me to use constructing and improving the Faces. It was a difficult job, but it was worth it. Of course, now the last of the Faces is destroyed. But now there's more to be done. We need to stop Zanza." He turned to Meyson. "We need to travel to the Fallen Arm. Maybe Vanea can help us."

        Meyson nodded. "I agree. I can carry you down using Yaldabaoth." I frowned.

"Yaldabaoth? Is that the Giant Mechon?" he turned and walked back to it.

"Yes. It was the strongest Face Mechon ever built. It's also the Mechon that can be used to control the Mechonis itself."

"It can control the Mechonis?"  I couldn't believe it.

"Yeah right." I turned, startled because I forgot that Bryndon was still here. "The Bionis and the Mechonis are dead. They can't be controlled."

"You say that, even though you just saw the very soul of Bionis reawaken."  

"What can I say? Nothing really seems real anymore." I turned to address my friends. "Guys. I want y'all to go back to the Colony. I started this battle, and I'm going to end it." I turned to Meyson. "Can you arrange for them to be taken back to the Colony?" He nodded and turned to Noah.

"Call in the Prototype Faces. Arrange for them to carry these Homs back to Colony 2."

Noah nodded. "Yes, Sir." He turned to me. "Be right back." Then he ran over to a transport pad, and he teleported, presumably to a different part of the Fortress.

        "I'm not leaving you Blake." I turned and saw Diane walking towards me. "We started this journey together, and that's how we'll end it. Michael and Bryndon walked over.

"Speak for yourself. I'm ready to get back to the Colony. From what Zanza said, he's about to launch an all out attack on Mechonis. We need to get back to the Colony. Maybe we can find a way to stop him from there." I nodded.

"Okay. You two go." I turned to Diane. "Looks like it's just you and me."

        "Forgetting someone?"

        I turned and saw Noah walking toward us, two Face Mechon in tow. "You're not sending me back to the Colony. I'm not letting us get separated again." I smiled. "Of course. We're sticking together." Then I turned to Michael and Bryndon.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye for now." Michael nodded.

"I guess so."

"Don't worry. We'll be back soon." Then they got on top of the Faces, and they flew off towards Bionis.

        I turned towards Diane and Noah. I started the journey with 10, and only 3 of us are left. "Well, time to move on. Let's go to the Fallen Arm."