Chapter 9: The Monado

We were greeted at the Fortress by an assault.

        Hordes of Mechon were waiting at the gates, trying to stop us, but we were ready for them. The Monado seemed to grow longer, and it tore through the Mechon like they weren't there. It was hardly a challenge to get past them. Once we got inside the fortress, the Mechon seemed to stop coming. That worried me. It was almost as if they were waiting for something.

        Turns out they were.

        From out of nowhere, several Face Mechon similar to Jasmine's came crashing to the floor. They surrounded us, blocking off our escape route. I thought I had destroyed the last of the Faces. Apparently I was wrong. Then a new Face Mechon came crashing down. It was unlike anyone I had ever seen before. "So you've made it to the Mechonis. Welcome. We've been waiting."

        I activated the Monado. "Who are you? We defeated all of your kind. You shouldn't be here."

"What? You don't recognize me? Why Blake, I'm rather offended." The panels in the Face's chest slid aside, and Kevin dropped down in front of the Mechon.

        I gasped in disbelief. "B-but you died! Armando killed you in Sword Valley!" He smirked.

"I did. But Jasmine and Eliese found me and brought me here. They showed me the truth and gave me a new body, one free of the limits of my old body. Now I fight to save the Mechonis!"

"What do you mean, "Save the Mechonis?"

        He smiled. "You still don't know the truth? Fine. I'll show you." He raised his hands, and several screens appeared in front of us. They showed hundreds of White, Manta Ray-Like creatures flying around the head of Mechonis. They started firing blasts of energy, and as they made contact with the Mechonis, I felt the ground beneath us begin shaking.

        "What are those?" I asked. "They're the Telethia. They were created by the Bionis to destroy all life. But all they're doing now is trying to destroy the Mechonis." Why is this happening?  I thought to myself. What reason would the Bionis have to attack the Mechonis? I activated the Monado. "I can see the truth now. What the Bionis is doing is wrong. But the Mechonis still stole our friends and killed our people! Can you forgive that?"

        He smirked. "They did this for a better reason. Could you forgive them I if I told you that Noah was still alive?"

        I froze. All this time, I was fighting to get revenge for Noah. But Noah's still alive. He's here somewhere. Now I have to find him.

        I deactivated the Monado. "Take me to him. Now."

"Now, now. Don't get angry. First you just have to hand over the Monado."

        I lunged toward Kevin, activating the Monado as I did. I held it against his neck. "I keep the Monado until I know I can trust you." His eyes showed fear for a moment, then hardened again.

"Fine. Follow me."

...

        Kevin led us deeper into the fortress, but I didn't stop to take in the scenery. I kept straight ahead, praying that Noah really was still alive.

        He lead us into a large chamber, but that wasn't the impressive part. Standing in the middle of the chamber was a gargantuan golden Mechon. It was easily the largest Mechon I had ever seen, including the fortress Mechon that were guarding Sword Valley.  It looked down at us. "Face Avenger. I see you've returned to us. But you've brought along some guests. Are these the ones who invaded the Mechonis?"

        Kevin bowed, which I found odd. Apparently Gold Face was the Leader of the Mechon. "Yes, master. However, they only agreed to come here if they could see Noah again." Gold Face looked down.

"Noah? Ah, I see. That means the Boy's brother has arrived at last." He raised his hand, and a glowing screen appeared in front of him.

"Yes, Master Meyson?"

        I recognized that voice. No way. I thought to myself. Is he really...

 "Come to me. Face Avenger has brought our Guests here."

"I'll  be there in just a moment." "A panel opened up in the floor, and Noah came up from the floor below.

        I didn't think. I just ran. I dashed straight for Noah, ecstatic that he was still alive. I tackled him in a hug, tears forming in my eyes.

"I thought I had lost you." He hugged me back. "I know. I'm sorry I let you down." He said, his voice breaking. He let me go and held me at a distance.

"I can't believe you came all the way here to find me. And you discovered that you can wield the Monado."

"Speaking of the Monado, I believe that you promised you'd hand it over to me once you found Noah." I turned and faced Kevin, unable to feel anger.

"Fine, you can have it." I set the Monado on the ground in front of me and backed away from it. But as Kevin approached it, a voice rang out from nowhere.

        "Foolish Homs!" a great burst of Ether energy exploded out from the Monado, throwing everyone back. When I looked back, there was a Homs standing over the Monado. He picked it up, and turned to face me. "I believed I could trust you to carry out my plans, but it seems I was wrong. Now I'll have to correct my mistake."

"Who are you?" I asked.

        He smirked. "My name is Zanza, and I am the Bionis himself."