Chapter 27: We Found Water

Start from the beginning

"Well we aren't going to find the gold just standing here," John B said climbing over the rock wall.

Evelyn sighed, "Here goes nothing," she hoisted herself up climbing over the wall.

"Look, you guys know whose house this is, right?" Kiara asked.

"Oh, yeah. No, I do," JJ said.

"Honestly, I don't really believe the stories of this place," John B said being shushed by Pope.

"Which storied did you hear?" JJ asked Kiara.

"The one where she killed her husband with an axe," Kiara said, "And that she's been holed ever since."

"On certain night when the moon is full, you can see her in the window," Evelyn grabbing JJ's shoulders and whispering in his ear.

"It's not funny," JJ said shrugging her off, "Cause it's all true."

Evelyn laughed at the boy.

"I swear to God, guys, this is all real I know Hollis," JJ jumping as he turned the corner, being scared by a statue, "Jeez!"

"You knew Hollis Crain?" Pope asked.

"Yeah, dude," JJ said.

"How did you know Hollis Crain?" Pope asked.

"She was my babysitter," JJ said, "She told me all about it. Told me the truth...about her mother and what happened in this house."

"What happened in this house JJ?" Evelyn asked.

"So as a kid, she heard all the stories that her mother killed her father, and she was a murderer and all. Hollis didn't believe it," JJ said, "Until that night."

"What night?" John B asked.

"It all came back to her," JJ said turning to look at the statue behind him, "When Hollis was six years old, she heard her parents arguing downstairs. So she goes downstairs to see her mom washing her hands in the sink...full of blood. Her mother just says that she cut her finger."

Evelyn looked at John B with wide eyes, JJ's story freaking her out wether it was true or not.

"The next morning, she says her father and her split up. But then, Hollis noticed something," JJ said, "Her mother going into the parlor constantly, in and out and in and out with plastic bags. Weeks pass, and Hollis decided to use the outhouse. And as she's using it, she looks down, and there, in the outhouse, is her father's head, looking straight back at her."

"God, you are so full of shit," John B said.

"Dude, I swear to God, man," JJ said looking at the rest of the group.

"Did she call the police?" Pope asked.

"She didn't have time," JJ said, John B cutting him off by walking past him, "Wait! Dude!"

"What?" John B asked.

"You sure you wanna do this? She's an axe murderer. You got a cast on," JJ said.

"I don't give a shit is she's an axe murderer, okay?" John B said making Pope look at him wide eyed, "I got nothin' to lose, right? You coming' or what?"

"Come on," Kiara said following John B.

Evelyn walked behind Pope with JJ behind her, making sure to stay low.

"Hey, come on. Come here," John B whispered, "So here's the plan. We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter."

"Okay, like, what kind of water?" Pope asked, "Like, pond water?"