Roommates and Arch Enemies

As we walked up to the dormitory I got nervous. The building was about three stories high and looked newer than the admissions building, this one looking freshly built and the admissions building looking like a building in a movie set in an early time like Titanic. I stopped right before the small staircase I stopped and took a deep breath, trying to calm down and stop shaking. Once I felt I was ready I ascended up the stairs and walked in to see my mother already making herself at home and finding her way to the dorm monitor.

                I jogged to where my mom was and before she could do anymore damage to my life I grabbed my dorm key, map and dorm number. I then picked up a couple of my bags and headed to my room with my mom at my tail.

"Maria Lynn Emerson! Slow down!" my mother yelled as I kept walking away.

I finally stopped and waited for her footsteps to get closer. When her footsteps were close enough so that they sounded like they were loud bricks being thrown on the ground. I then proceeded walking.

"Did I say you could start walking again?" My mother yelled as I kept walking.

"No. That's why I kept going. I mean you never said that I had to stop either, you just said slow down." I fired back with anger in my voice, not trying to hide it like I normally did.

"Since when has it been ok for you to talk to me like this?" she replied back trying to be the victorious one, but this battle had just begun.

"Since you stopped caring about me and my life. Since I realized that you don't really care about me unless I'm succeeding. That's why I wanted to come here so badly. I wanted to live my life on my own, WITHOUT you. You're controlling, manipulative and all you want is for me to become like you! Well guess what, I hate you mother. There! You happy?"

                My mother looked at me wide eyed and baffled, probably because I wasn't being a robot who seemed emotionless anymore. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Well, if that's what you think then great. Call me when you realize the mistake you've made and maybe I'll think of letting you come back and be my child. Until then goodbye."

                And with that she turned on her heels and sped out of the building. I sigh a breath of relief, but then quickly realized something. My mother was now my own worst enemy. I guess I had some stuff to figure out. I closed my eyes, inhaled and rubbed my temples. I quickly regained focus and returned to find my room.

                I stopped at the door with the gold numbers 409 on it. I quickly found my key and put it in the keyhole. I took a second and then unlocked the door and opened it. I walked into the dorm to find two beds and two desks. One desk plied with suitcases and duffle bags and a bed neatly made with stacks of clothes on it. As I surveyed the room I met eyes with whom I thought to be my roommate.