Chapter 25: The Hawks Nest

Start from the beginning

"I am. I promise," JJ said grabbing the girls hand, "They'll heal. What my dad did to me isn't anything he hasn't done before."

A tear ran down Evelyns face as she looked down, "I just wish I could have gotten there sooner."

"Hey, hey," JJ said lifting her chin and wiping the tear with his thumb, "My dad would have found out eventually. It's over with now, and I'm fine."

JJ pulled the girl into a hug, holding her tight, "Thank you for being there at all."

Evelyn looked up at the boy, his blue eyes piercing down at her. JJ leaned in, their lips brushing against one another. Evelyn could taste the weed on JJ's breath as his lips hover over hers.

"Did you guys hear that?" Kiara yelled making the two pull away from one another.

Evelyn listened as thunder roared around them.

"Can somebody help?" someone yelled.

"Shit," JJ said as Kie and Pope jumped out of the van.

The four went running down the trial to the Hawk's nest. They rounded the corner and Evelyn saw John B laying on the ground with Sarah hovered over the top of him.

"Sarah! What happened?" Pope yelled.

"I don't know what to do. He needs help," Sarah said between sobs, "Topper shoved him."

Evelyn felt like she had just been punched in the stomach. After Topper just telling her hours ago that he was going to change, he goes and shoves John B off of the Hawks Nest.

"Where the hell is he?" JJ yelled.

"Now is not the time," Evelyn said grabbing JJ's arm, "John B needs help."

"Please, please, please get help. I don't care who. Just call someone," Sarah pleaded.

"Go!" JJ yelled to Pope as he started running back toward the van.

"Pope, hurry!" Kiara yelled after the boy.

"John B stay with me," Sarah said leaning down and kissing the boy, "Please don't leave me."

"Pope! Come on!" JJ yelled.

--

Evelyn walked into the chateau along with Kiara, Pope, and JJ. They had jut gotten back from the Hawks Nest where an ambulance had taken John B to the hospital. Evelyn had no idea what time is was, but she knew it had to be late. Her body felt absolutely drained.

"We should all get some rest," Kiara said, "It's been a long day."

"I'll take the guest room," Pope said wander toward the back of the house.

"I'll be in John B's room if you need me," Kiara said.

"Guess that just leaves the couch bed," Evelyn said turning toward it.

"You take it," JJ said, "I'll sleep in the chair."

"Don't be silly," Evelyn said, "There is enough room for the both of us."

Evelyn kicked off her shoes walking over to the bed and pulling back the covers to get in. She looked up at JJ who was staring down at her hesitantly.

"Come on," Evelyn said patting the bed next to her, "I wont bite. I promise."

JJ pulled off his shirt climbing into bed next to the girl, making sure to keep some distance between them.

"E?" the boy whispered.

"Hmm?" she hummed.

"It's not weird if friends cuddle right?" JJ asked.

"No," Evelyn replied, "Kie and I cuddle all of the time."

"Even if one friend is and boy and the other is a girl?" JJ asked.

"No, I don't so," Evelyn admitted as JJ went silent.

"Why do you ask?" Evelyn said.

"No reason," JJ said brushing it off.

Silence fell over to two once again. Evelyn couldn't shake the feeling that JJ wanted to cuddle with her but wouldn't ask.

"Hey, J?" Evelyn said.

"Yeah?" JJ said.

"Do you want to cuddle?" the girl asked.

"Um...yeah," JJ said, "Only if you want to."

"I'd like that," the girl admitted.

JJ scooted over to the middle of the bed staying on his back. Evelyn moved over, placing her head on his chest as her arm draped over his bare stomach. He pulled the girl in closer with the arm that was around her. Evelyn breathed in, taking in the scent of weed and saltwater. That scent on anyone else would have smelled weird, but it somehow worked on JJ.

"Goodnight," JJ said.

"Goodnight," Evelyn said back closing her eyes.

She fell asleep to the sound of JJ's shallow breaths, feeling more safe than every before.