𝐢𝐢𝐢 | cadet corps

Start from the beginning

She changed her shoes for a pair of knee-high leather boots and had a set of leather straps on her.

Iris has never worn this much belts before.

The straps started on her thighs, connected with her waist, went behind her back and wrapped itself around her shoulders and chest. It was so complicated to wear, in her opinion.

And lastly, her dark hair tied in a low ponytail to keep it out of her neck.

She was starting to miss her beige uniform in Markey. A simple buttoned up jacket with trousers.

These island devils really outdid themselves with this, she thought.

Iris was required to stand with her legs slightly apart, her arms behind her back and her head held up high. It amuses her how different the Warrior Unit is from this.

She squints an eye, trying to avoid the droplet of sweat that fell down from her head to touch her eye.

When she opens it again, she almost flinches when a face appears in front of her.

Commandant Shadis, a wrinkly, tan-skinned man with absolutely no hair besides a small, thick beard on his chin, her new instructor, stares down at her with furrowed eyebrows.

"You!" he calls with a loud voice, "Who are you?"

Iris shifts into a new stance, her legs together and her right fist over her heart. She stares at him, showing no fear, as she was used to men screaming at her face.

"Iris Elvira, sir!"

"What are you here for, Elvira?!"

"To fight in humanity's favor, sir!"

Shadis nods, impressed at how the young girl didn't show any sort of fear at his intimidation, but didn't say anything about it.

"Very well, Elvira."

When he walks away, Iris relaxes her shoulders, letting out a small sigh. Beside her, someone whispers, "Gotta give you credits for thinking of something fast."

"Shut up, Annie," Iris hisses.

The blonde lets out a very subtle smile and goes back to her position.

Commandant Shadis went around the Cadets, trying to intimidate them, which made Iris wish the Opening Ceremony could finish already. He was now across her, in front of the lines of Cadets that were facing her side.

But he suddenly halts and to Iris' surprise, his voice was calm, "Oi, you there. What do you think you're doing?"

She tilted her head to the side and saw he was talking to a girl. The girl had a reddish-brown ponytail with a layered fringe and was munching on something Iris couldn't see.

It was until Iris saw what it was.

A potato. She was eating a potato in the middle of the ceremony, not caring about the angry commandant she has in front her.

Iris scoffs in disbelief.

She watches as Shadis asks her who she is and she immediately pounds her fist over her heart, introducing herself as Sasha Braus from Dauper Village in Wall Rose. All while she keeps the potato in her hand.