The man, however, laughed. He laughed as if he said the funniest thing ever. I stared at him, with complete numbness.

My brain stopped working and my heart seemed to be preparing to jump out of my body. My lungs seemed to be shriveling and many shivers ran through my entire body. Anguish and anxiety clouded everything I built.

"You..." I said, my voice coming out in a whisper. "You dare say that..."

"I dare to say many things, Queen Catheline..." he spoke fearlessly, with a twisted smile on his expression.

This time, I finally realized what was going on. I looked away as I could barely breathe. But his venomous words were able to reach my ears.

"Your husband would die a painful death, deserving of him. He would be slaughtered in a way that after they are done, no one would even find even a bit of him!"

I gasped, as I felt a painful twist in my abdomen. I heard someone scream and come over to my side. But I had no control of my body or mind.

It was as if my internals were on fire. Tears began pouring out of my eyes as my voice came out in a shriek.

"Ahh!"

"Your Grace!"

"You will never see him again. Your dear husband" the man went on taunting.

My vision blurred and I felt something trickle down my thighs. I did not know what it was. Everything was on fire. I never felt such pain in my life.

"Take his head off!" I shrieked madly as I felt another pair of arms hold onto me.

"And after we are done, we would come for you-"

His voice stopped echoing in the air midway and I flinched and closed my eyes tightly. He was no more. I refused to look at the sight. It all made me sick. I wanted it all to end. I let go of myself, having no energy to even stand. Karra cried out, unable to carry my whole weight.

"She is bleeding..."

That was the last thing I heard before the dark curtain fell over my eyes. No, no, no...

Not my little one.
____________________________________

Xander's POV:

The sight was beyond devastating.

I truly had no words left to describe what I was seeing.

How come such a peaceful place becomes a graveyard so suddenly?

"How could this have happened?"

"Those bastards attacked at night!
In numbers, we still have no idea of,"

"This is outrageous!"

"This is entirely despicable of them to use such underhanded tactics,"

I glanced at the river flowing peacefully in front of me. It evoked a sense of calmness. Unlike the brutal scene beyond the river. An entire camp of nearly a hundred soldiers.

Burnt and destroyed.

Every man slayed and everything disintegrated to dust.

The rain had washed everything else and there was not even a sight of the bloodshed.

And all of this...is my fault.

I could protect no one. This proved it. I was useless. I never felt more useless.

"They shall rest in peace," Nathaniel said finally, as I heard him approach me.

"They shall not," I said back. "How come I did not see this coming?"